Possible to ID the clickers?

• 27 June 2017
  • 4 replies

Hey there,

Not sure if this is possible at all, but thought I’d throw out to the community to see for sure…

We’d like to send an email to our list asking whether or not they are interested in an event. The email would drive to an Unbounce landing page that asks them to click ‘yes’ or ‘no’.

So we’d like to know which specific emails are associated with the ‘yes’ and ‘no’ clicks (so we can follow up with the ‘yes’ people later on).

It’s a fairly small list (20-30 people) and we plan on following up with them manually (no automated emails needed).

So to sum up: we basically need to know:

a) What the email is associated with the yes or no click

and

b) whether they clicked yes or no.

We were looking at ways to do this with Google Analytics tags, but I’m not sure it would work. Also not sure of any integrations that might make this possible.

Any suggestions or ideas would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

4 replies

Userlevel 6

hi @Papercut this is absolutely possible with Unbounce natively using URL parameters. There is a feature in Unbounce where if a URL parameter matches the name/ID of a form field the value will automatically be passed through.

For example you could add a hidden field to your form and give it an ID of “email”. In the links you add in the email you send out you can add the person’s email address as the value of an “email” parameter (ex. www.mydomain.com/landing-page?email=someone@something.com). When someone clicks that link the hidden field on the page will automatically be filled with the value of the email parameter (i.e. the email address of the person landing on the page).

Depending on how you are generating the emails or what service you are using, you may be able to dynamically insert the person’s email address into the URL. For example MailChimp has a feature called Merge Tags (http://kb.mailchimp.com/merge-tags/all-the-merge-tags-cheat-sheet) which would allow this.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions or feel free to drop us a line over at support@unbounce.com and we can help you out there 🙂

Great! Thanks for your help Rob!

One question: is is possible to do this with just buttons?

Or do I need to send them to a form (in a lightbox, maybe) after they click the button in order to capture their email address?

Thanks again!

Just to clarify, the ‘Yes’ and ‘No’ buttons are in the email?

If so, you can do this really easy using unique UTM tags for each link, such that:

UTM TAG: …?campaign=email-yes
UTM TAG: …?campaign=email-no

Then you can check inside audiences > campaigns in Google Analytics and see the traffic (and goals/conversions) for each of these tags.

To get started you can check out google’s UTM Builder Here:
https://ga-dev-tools.appspot.com/campaign-url-builder/

The “campaign content” is where you want to make sure you put “yes” and “no” variables in.

Lastly, if you’re using a tool like MailChimp to send your emails, since they do UTM tagging automatically be sure to turn this off so it’s not tagged twice.

Hope this helps!

EDIT: Rob’s explanation also works, but if you’re just looking for a simple yes/no poll from an email the above solution may be easier as it’s less steps for the user.

Thanks Colinsa!

Actually, the ‘yes’ and ‘no’ buttons are on the Unbounce landing page.

I just want know which email address is associated with ‘yes’ or ‘no’ clicks.

Appreciate the response!