Oli Gardner's Blog Takeover: January 2, 2018

blog
product-marketing

Hey everyone! If you’re not already following the Unbounce blog, now would be a good time to start.

Unbounce’s co-founder (and conversion optimization expert) (and international keynote speaker) @Oli_Gardner has launched his month-long blog takeover to put a bit of a new spin on the way we talk about our products (and will likely not be seeing daylight for the month of January).

blog

Featured in this post:

• Tackling the question: Do we suck at product marketing?
  • The slightly intoxicated video statement which kicked this whole thing off
  • Finding a way to talk about our product, without being too sales-y
  • Data check-ins including our product adoption and churn metrics
  • Mistakes made, and how to un-**** our problems
  • Productizing our technology

In this post we’ve also included a detailed calendar with each topic that Oli will be covering.

Check out Oli’s first post :point_right: here! :point_left:

Perhaps you’ve already subscribed to our blog, and perhaps you’ve even already read Oli’s first post. Here’s your call to action… What are your thoughts?

I like to think of this community as a safe place where marketers can be pretty candid with their feedback, so I’ll be looping Oli in here if anyone has any questions or comments. Give it a read and hit me up with your comments!

Great post, and looking forward to hearing more about this over the month.

I love the popups and sticky bars, although I still haven’t had a chance to use them as much as I’d like – mostly just due to time and not really having the need just yet.

So far, I’ve just done the typical things like blog subscription, download a free eBook and then recently used it to communicate holiday hours (that was a bit more outside the box I guess).

I’m hoping to allocate some time this quarter to try something more creative!

I’m about 20% of the way through Oli’s first post as I type this, and I’d like to immediately point out how :scream: and :star_struck: I am that you came right out and shared your frustrations with the adoption rate of popups/sticky bars and included the actual adoption rate right there in your post. That takes guts.

Since I started using Unbounce, I’ve really enjoyed the transparency that you all have had with your members about your products, even when (and maybe especially when) that information isn’t just the highlight reel. It’s so refreshing to be a part of a community that’s like this. I don’t think I’ve ever really experienced such open and honest communication between both sides of the table, it really makes this truly feel like a partnership.

As I continue reading this post, I see that transparency is actually one of the core themes that you’re going for, so +1 for that. :slight_smile:

Also:

Mistake #4: We assumed that the functional user of our landing page product would be the same person who needs to use overlays popups and sticky bars.

+1 more for this. What might you consider to be an ideal adoption rate? Is that 6% based on the same demographic that have adopted your landing page technology (i.e. 6% of your current landing page product users are also using popups/sticky bars), or do you have a separate audience that you’re basing that percentage on? (Not necessarily asking you to share these numbers, just food for thought.)

I’m sure you’ve already considered this, but what are your thoughts on kind of “segregating” (to an extent) popups and sticky bars from your landing page products, maybe even more so than you’re currently doing? I’m sure there’s an entire demographic who aren’t customers yet, who might be interested in your P/SB (that’s what I’m calling it from now on) technology, but who don’t need the whole landing page package. Maybe even offering a “lite” subscription plan that is just focused on P/SB? I think something like this is made much more feasible now that they have their own robust A/B testing features.

The community could also possibly benefit from a category specifically dedicated to P/SB, similar to how there’s a specific category for “Landing Page Feedback”.

Anyway, I digress! I’m really excited to see more use-cases for popups and sticky bars in future posts. I’ll admit that my imagination has been somewhat limited in that regard with our particular market and offering, so a few creative ideas could be just what we need!

Thanks @leah.ann Leah! Really happy to hear you’re enjoying the blog series already on Day 1 — transparency has been a big part of what’s helped us through the tough times at Unbounce since the day we started. The more open we are, the more help we receive and the easier it is to move forward. Love that you see this in our community too!

Great comments and questions all around. I’ll see how many of them I can provide thoughts on.

Is that 6% based on the same demographic that have adopted your landing page technology (i.e. 6% of your current landing page product users are also using popups/sticky bars), or do you have a separate audience that you’re basing that percentage on? (Not necessarily asking you to share these numbers, just food for thought.)

Yes, that 6% is based on our overall customer base… as in the one that has 100% adopted Landing Pages (given it has been our one and only tool for 8.5 years.) Our mission has been to expand our platform with more tools to help marketers convert more, get better return on their marketing budgets and do it all faster. Expanding that to help them leverage their existing website traffic in better ways (Sticky Bars & Popups) seemed like a natural fit for the same customer base. Arguably we didn’t invest enough time up front segmenting our market and clearly defining our targets within our customer base though — this has been a big learning for us moving forward.

We have done a lot of research over the last few months through usability tests, feedback polls and other means, to learn more about why adoption is what it is: Is it a different person in our customer’s business that needs to use this tool? Have they just not had enough time to try it? Do they know the tool even exists or how they can use it? Is the javascript snippet a technical barrier the way CNAMEs can be for landing pages? Is it just the name “Convertables” holding them back? We’ve got some exciting customer marketing campaigns planned to try and experiment with what we’ve learned so far.

what are your thoughts on kind of “segregating” (to an extent) popups and sticky bars from your landing page products, maybe even more so than you’re currently doing? I’m sure there’s an entire demographic who aren’t customers yet, who might be interested in your P/SB (that’s what I’m calling it from now on) technology, but who don’t need the whole landing page package.

That is definitely an opportunity, and one that we still discuss. Currently we are putting most of our focus into combatting the adoption obstacles that we know about and learning as much as possible along the way. The outcome of that might be to re-visit our market strategy for the tool itself. At the end of the day, if you are using sticky bars and popups on your website to capture leads, re-direct or shape traffic, or promote new products or services — all of those use-cases will require a landing page at some point, right? We want to be that all-in-one conversion-focused solution for you. That’s not to say there might be better ways of packaging up our products, including different subscription plans. All possible outcomes from our next few months of effort and learning!

The community could also possibly benefit from a category specifically dedicated to P/SB, similar to how there’s a specific category for “Landing Page Feedback”.

That is a great idea! I’m sure this is already in the back of @Jess’s mind, but I’ll ping her for follow up. Would love to see community members like yourself sharing feedback on sticky bars and popups, and how to use them well. How do you strike that balance between providing great experiences for your visitors while still increasing conversions? When we started Unbounce in 2009, if marketers knew what a landing page was, they mostly knew them as “squeeze pages.” They were rarely delightful, value-adding, or mutually benefiting for both visitor and marketer. There is lots of similar education to be done about popups and sticky bars and this community is an excellent place to do that! Not to mention sharing creative use-cases that help push the boundaries of our product — I personally love seeing that.

Thanks again for your comments Leah, hope the rest of the blog series helps inspire some new ways for you to leverage Unbounce.

Hey Carter!

Firstly, thank you very much for taking the time to write up such a thorough response. A lot of really thought-provoking insight here. I love hearing about how you guys have grown and evolved over time, too. I had first heard of Unbounce years ago, back when I was working for a company that considered you guys a competitor! I thought your product was really great back then, but seeing how far its come since then is just awesome.

Understandably so. It’s hard to know how you’re going to segment an existing audience for an unreleased product. It’s one thing when you’re breaking into a new market, but how do you best determine which of your current users are going to readily adopt a new product before launching said product (without making a lot of assumptions)?

I think you’re doing it the right way, FWIW. You now have a lot more data to work with, most of which you probably wouldn’t have been able to gather before launching this. So now, instead of making assumptions, you can now make data-driven decisions. It sounds like you’re set to make great strides!

I suppose that’s always the give and take with launching a new product. To some degree, you can never really know how it’s going to be adopted until people start using it en masse.

Totally makes sense. :slight_smile:

That’s a good point and I hadn’t really thought of it like that. We use Unbounce in conjunction with WordPress, so we had landing pages already pretty well built out before we came to you guys for our conversion optimization. That is certainly not going to be the case for everyone though, so a plan like what I was suggesting probably wouldn’t appeal to everyone.

My original thinking was that perhaps you could reel those people in who might already have landing pages of their own. They might not be ready to take the full plunge with Unbounce’s entire product offering (yet!), but maybe they just want to add something to their existing pages (enter Unbounce popups & sticky bars). Once they see how much those tools increase their ROI and how awesome this community is, they’d be silly not to upgrade to a full product package.

Of course, that’s a lot of “maybes” and the logistics of something like that might very well not make sense. By the looks of the spreadsheet that Oli included in his post, and the calendar of posts to come throughout this month, it sounds like you have plenty of things in the works as it is, all of which sound very exciting and will surely make P/SB that much more enticing both for new and existing customers.

Ah, the million dollar question. :slight_smile: It’s great to have a community of really savvy people to help answer it.

Ya I get where you are coming from. That is definitely a potential strategy for us down the line (the “land and expand” option for marketers who don’t need landing pages just yet.) That decision would change our competitive landscape a bit, as well as a few other things, but it’s something we’ll be keeping in mind. Thanks again for the engaging questions - keep 'em coming throughout the month!