New Feature: Marketo Integration

Hey Everyone!

Just wanted to give you a heads up that we we’ve officially released our  Marketo Integration to the public, so if you’re on a  PRO99  plan or up, you can take advantage of this integration  right now!

With this integration you will now be able to send leads collected in Unbounce directly over to Marketo -  no work arounds required.

You will now be able to: 

• Have lead data captured through Unbounce, available in Marketo and have this trigger certain marketing automation activities, and YES that means using Unbounce forms!
  • Specify which Marketo lists are available during the integration setup so that you’re able to choose which lists you want to send leads to.
  • Map Unbounce fields to Marketo so lead data is pushed through correctly.
  • Be able to tell if there was/is an error when sending leads from Unbounce to Marketo so that you’re able to easily resolve the problem.
  • Send Unbounce metrics to Marketo with each lead submitted so that you’re able to better understand your leads.
    Further details on this integration and setup instructions can be found on this Support Doc for setup instructions and we are keeping a list of Known Issues to continually update you on any bugs we uncover.

We look forward to your feedback! 

test

Hi Justin,

Can you pull data from Marketo into Unbounce pages to create a more personalised landing page?

Thanks

Tom

Hey Tom,

Thank you for reaching out. We currently only pull data related to setting up field mapping for the Marketo integration. I would love to hear more about your use case and how you would like to use Marketo data with your Unbounce landing pages.

Thanks, 

Meagan

Two questions.

1) The Cookie: Anonymous to Known?. When someone fills out an Unbounce form/page that maps to Marketo fields using new process, will the visitor be cookied so activity for previous and new web visits are tracked.

Example:

• Ken visits 5 pages before filling out Unbounce form
  • Ken fills out Unbounce form
  • Ken visits another 10 pages.
    I understand that all data is passed to Unbounce but are all of Ken’s visits tracked back to Ken? If one was using a Marketo page and form, all of the pre/post activity would be associated to Ken.

2) Just Some Feedback
Please make the list names the official list names in Marketo that also include the prepended program name. For example, a best practice is to name a list something like “List” so one doesn’t have to change the name of the list upon cloning an entire program. Not a big deal.

Should be…
EBook-Best-Practices-2015.List
Whitepaper-Get-Ready-2015.List
WebinarOnDemand-5-Steps-to-Success.List

How Appears in Unbounce…
List
List
List

Hi Jeff,

Just saw your post, hope this still helps. Re: 1): NO, the visitor will not be cookied automatically for tracking of previous and new web visits.

You need to add the Marketo “Munchkin” javascript to the Unbounce page in order for that page to track the page visit – and the Unbounce form fill-out – back to the anonymous lead in Marketo, and update it with the form data, ie. First Name, Last Name, Email.

Always ensure the Munchkin script is on the pages on your domain that you want to track, including Unbounce landing pages.

Regarding your example, this is how the Anonymous/Known workflow will look assuming you have the Munchkin script on the Unbounce page:

• Ken visits 5 pages before filling out Unbounce form (Anonymous - page visits stored in Activity History)
  • Ken fills out Unbounce form (Known - page visit & form fill stored in Activity History)
  • Ken visits another 10 pages. (Known - page visits stored in Activity History).
    If the Munchkin code is not on the Unbounce page, the Anonymous lead will remain, and a New lead will be created by the Unbounce form, which means you’ll end up with 2 disconnected leads, one Anonymous, and one with the Unbounce data, ie. First Name, Last Name, Email etc.

To add the Munchkin code to the Unbounce page: In Marketo, go to Admin -> Munchkin (in left side-bar) and copy the Tracking Code snippet. In Unbounce, go into the Editor or Script Manager and add the Javascript -> paste the copied snippet.

Re: 2): Not sure if this is possible in the current integration. You might want to describe your workflow to the Unbounce team to investigate further. The current integration targets the List level, but you might want to suggest targeting at the Program level if that works better.

Cheers

• Mike

Really fantastic explanation, Mike! You’re definitely going to be our go-to guy for Marketo questions in the future. :wink:

Hey Tom,

There are a couple ways to do this depending on what you’re trying to accomplish.

First use case: If sending a Marketo EMAIL, you CAN add tokens to the links in the email, and use Unbounce’s DTR (Dynamic Text Replacement) to replace the desired text on the page with the token value - thus creating a more personalized experience for the recipient.

The basic URL format would be:
[landing page URL]?[parameter]=[value]

So your link might look like:

http://start.mydomain.com/?city={{lead.Inferred City}}

Then you can use DTR on your Unbounce page to look at that parameter (city) and fill in the desired text with the value/token, ie. “Best provider in {{lead.Inferred City}}”.

Note: Marketo doesn’t actually show the “Insert Token” option when you edit a link, so you’ll want to insert the token into the body of your email first, then simply cut and paste it in the link editor.

Second use case: IF you want a form to pre-populate with the lead’s existing data pulled from Marketo, there is a workaround for this, though it’s a bit of a pain.

You’d need to use a Marketo form (with Form Pre-fill: Enabled) and embed it onto the Unbounce page, rather than using Unbounce forms directly. This involves putting the Marketo form onto a Marketo landing page, and then embedding the Marketo page onto the Unbounce page using an iframe (the old “landing page within a landing page” trick).

You would use the Custom HTML widget in Unbounce and enter code like the following:

Why the Marketo landing page and not just the form? Form Pre-fill does not work when embedding a Marketo form on your own pages. It only works on Marketo landing pages.

You can get it to look fairly seamless. Example:

Note: In Unbounce, you won’t be able to see the Marketo form/landing page in Edit or Preview mode. It only appears on the Published page, so prepare accordingly.

Advantages of this workaround: You can use Marketo’s form features, such as pre-fill, hint text and progressive profiling.

Disadvantages: It’s a pain. And Marketo forms/landing pages aren’t as flexible or easy to use as Unbounce forms (which is why the integration is good).

Hope this helps! Let me know if you need more info.

Can I nickname you ‘Marketo Mike’?

Seriously impressed with the depth of your knowledge with both Marketo + Unbounce. Thanks for chiming in here, Mike!

Seriously impressed with the depth of your knowledge with both Marketo + Unbounce. Thanks for chiming in here, Mike!

Can I nickname you ‘Marketo Maverick Mike’? :smiley:

No prob. Happy to share the knowledge!

Looking forward to using the new integration points with Unbounce and Marketo, and would like to dive a little deeper into your response. We are redoing the website and have a dilemma about how to treat forms on landing pages. Would like to use the Marketo profiling feature on website so that we can provide our “known” contacts with shorter forms. To that end would we need to use the entire Marketo database as a List? It sounds nuts, but is that the solution? 

Thanks,
Cathy

Hey Jeff,

I’ve setup the munchkin tracking script on the form, but it doesn’t seem to be merging my anonymous lead with the known form submission.  Integration is live, munchkin is on…any thoughts?

In our Marketo forms we are able to capture implied location by IP address as a hidden field in the form - are we able to do that as well if we use an Unbounce form?

Hi Mike,

Just working on something similar at the moment where I need to embed a Pre-filled Marketo form into an unbounce page, however the marketo form still doesn’t appear when I look at the published page in unbounce. I’ve tried the iframe trick but I’m not sure if there were any extra parameters you added in to help the form appear? I can’t see the code from your comment and not sure if much has changed in the 2 years since this topic was brought up.

Cheers,
Charm

Hey Charm, it’s weird the code got stripped out. Here’s a refresh on my previous post…

I previously said if you want to want to take advantage of Marketo’s functionality like Pre-Fill, you can only use a Marketo landing page (LP), so if you want to use Unbounce, you’d need to embed a Marketo LP onto your Unbounce LP – with the Marketo LP containing the Marketo form.

That may no longer be the case. My team just ran an Unbounce LP containing a Marketo form with Pre-Fill enabled. We just used the Custom HTML widget and entered the embed script Marketo provides (Form Actions -> Embed Code), which looks like this:

Once you do that, Unbounce gives you a scary message “This HTML block is invalid, which may result in a broken published page”, but it in fact looks and works fine in Preview and Published. So you can try that…

Alternately, you may still try the “Marketo LP within Unbounce LP” method. You’d create a Marketo LP with their “free-form” template, drag in your Marketo form, publish the Marketo LP…and here’s the iframe code I was referring to:

where “yourmarketolandingpage” is the live URL of your Marketo LP. And you can adjust the “width” and “height” of the iframe accordingly.

Doing that should result in a message “This is a placeholder. The actual content is visible in the preview or published page”. And it should work in Preview and Published.

Hope that helps, otherwise I can help figure it out and post a correction as needed.

Hey Mike,

Great - thanks for the response! This helped :slight_smile:

I tried both solutions. The iframe code didn’t work as expected. The embed did work, however, I don’t think this saves the cookies after it has been filled out. Is this the same for you?

Cheers,
Charm

Hi @Mike_Kanasoot. What you described would indeed be the ideal scenario. However the integration does not match unknown with known data even with the Munchkin code on the page.

Please let me know if you know how to make that happen :slightly_smiling_face: