Multiple CTAs - Options?

I’m creating landing pages for a complex (insurance) product. I’ve read that for more complex products, longer landing pages are more appropriate as there is more to explain. Makes sense.

I’ve also read that for longer landing pages one should consider multiple CTAs. E.g. as the user scrolls down and first CTA is no longer visible a second CTA appears.

And I’m interested in two distinct CTAs:

• “Get Quotes” for users ready to buy now, begins online quoting process
  • “Stay In Touch” for users who are interested but whose insurance policy is not currently up for renewal, collects email addresses

So my ideal landing page structure would look something like this:

CTA - Get Quotes
Content
Content
CTA - Stay In Touch
Content
Content
CTA - Get Quotes
Content
Content

But I’m having trouble achieving this with Unbounce. It seems Unbounce only supports one CTA per page. I can’t even repeat the same “Get Quotes” CTA twice.

I’ve seen some people suggest embedded Wufoo forms as a solution to Unbounce CTA rigidity.

But I have the following concerns with the Wufoo route:
(1) Analytics - I’ve seen some posts suggesting A/B testing, conversion tracking, etc. is more difficult when combining Unbounce and Wufoo.
(2) Load Times - will embedded Wufoo forms have a material impact on load times?
(3) Complexity - if I need to add another service (Wufoo) and deal with cross platform analytics challenges I’m now wondering if Unbounce is the most appropriate solution for me?

I’m a bootstrapping, solo founder totally new to landing pages. So if there’s a easier way to accomplish this (or I should be doing something totally different) please let me know.

This noob would appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance!

Really?  I can’t be the only one interested in multiple CTAs…

Hi T C!

Great question. When you say that you aren’t able to add more than one CTA, are you referring to the fact that you can’t add more than one form per page? It’s true that we only allow for one form on a landing page, but given the structure you described above that shouldn’t be too much of an issue. 

From the sounds of it,  CTA - Get Quotes is a button which would then lead to another page… correct? That would mean that the only form needed would be  CTA - Stay In Touch in the middle. You can set more than one conversion goal in the Conversion Goals pane, which will allow you to capture conversions for both of the types (links/forms).

If you are _trying to add more than one form per page, then I would recommend splitting up the CTA’s as individual buttons and using the smooth scrolling script, which will lead the user down to the correct spot on the page to complete the form. 

Hope this helps point you in the right direction, T C! 

Great explanation, Justin!  T C feel free to share your landing page for any further feedback.

Best,

Joe

Justin, thank you for the thoughtful and detailed reply.

When I say that I can’t add more than one CTA I mean that…

I have a CTA Page Section that has some text, arrow pointing to CTA and a Form set up that consists of (1) a text box to collect zip codes and (2) a “get quotes” / submit-type button.  I’ve attached a screenshot (though I still haven’t figured out how to have “zip code” appear in the text box so people know what they’re supposed to enter there - only appear above text box which throws off alignment and looks odd).

It appears near the top of the page.  I’d like this same page section to appear a second time further down the page.  But when I copy and paste I’m told “Uh oh! It looks like you already have a form on your page.  Would you like to replace your current form and form confirmation dialog with this version?”

I can understand that supporting two forms that have different functions could make things a little complicated for your devs.  But I’m surprised that the same form cannot be repeated. .  

Yes, as you suggest, CTA - Get Quotes could be a button that leads to another page but this would be less than ideal.  Best practices dictate that this should be a form with (1) a drop down to select the desired quote type (e.g. auto, home, home & auto), (2) a text box for the user’s zip code and (3) a “get quotes” / submit type button which leads to another page.  I’ve attached a few examples (Geico, Progressive, State Farm) who have spent $$$$ testing this and all follow this model.  Which is why I’d like to follow this model (with the exception of the quote type dropdown as we’ll only be offering auto insurance at the outset).

We could deviate from best practices and use a button instead of a form for CTA - Get Quotes.  The button would take users to another page where we ask for quote type and zip.  But this creates unnecessary clicks, pages, form length and results in fewer people completing the insurance application.

I haven’t yet had a chance to look into your suggestion regarding “splitting up the CTA’s as individual buttons and using the smooth scrolling script” 

I will do so tomorrow but need to get some sleep now.

Thanks again,

Tom

Hey Justin!  I just had a chance to look into the “smooth scrolling” alternative you suggested.  Thanks again!

If I’m interpreting things correctly you’re saying I can only have one form per page but I can have unlimited buttons.  So, I could have a button (or buttons) anywhere on the page that when clicked auto-scroll the users’ browser so that they’re redirected to the portion of the landing page that contains the form.

Is that correct?

And, at the risk of sounding like a jerk (because I do appreciate the advice!), it seems you’ve provided work-arounds rather than solutions:

1. Rather than having two forms, you suggested converting “CTA - Get Quotes” from a form to a button that links to a second page with a form (while maintaining the “CTA - Stay in Touch” as a form to collect emails).
  2. Rather than repeating a the same form twice, place a button with “smooth scrolling” where I’d like the second form.  That button will take the user back to the first and only instance of the form.
    In case you haven’t figured it out yet, for better or worse, often worse, my personality does not allow me to deal well with compromise.

So I’m wondering, if I do want to implement my vision (i.e. two distinct forms; multiple appearances of one of the forms, is Unbouce a viable solution or do I need custom landing pages (please say Unbounce!)?

• Wufoo seems to be something many people combine with Unbounce.  I see there is a lot of discussion within the Unbouce community regarding Wufoo.  But the only official "documentation"begins with an ominous warning: “Unbounce is not currently able to track Wufoo form submissions. Any Wufoo form submission will not count as a conversion in Unbounce.”  Analytics, A/B testing is another item on which I don’t want to compromise.  Is it possible to use an Ubounce / Wufoo combo without sacrificing analytics? 
  • Looking at the “smooth scrolling” link you provided is see it uses the jQuery library.  That’s part of our technical stack. So maybe we can do something using that?  Could we create a custom forms using jQuery and insert them into our Unbounce landing pages as Page Sections without losing Unbounce’s A/B testing benefits?
    Thanks again!

Tom

Hey Tom! 
Sorry for the late response here. Sounds like you’re picking up what I’m putting down, and understand the workarounds I’m suggesting. You’re right, these are workarounds because at the moment you can’t technically achieve exactly what you’re looking for with Unbounce natively. Wish I could tell you otherwise, but I wouldn’t want to set you on the wrong path. 

For your questions: 

1. You could use a third party form solution, such as Wufoo, to place numerous forms on your page. Wufoo won’t be able to track those conversions back to Unbounce, however our integration with 123ContactForm  can _in fact send those leads back to Unbounce. 
  2. I don’t believe that will work. The pre-built forms tie directly into conversion data and our lead capturing system. I don’t want to say “no, absolutely not” because with enough time and dedication anything can be hacked to work a different way - but it wouldn’t be easy, and definitely wouldn’t be supported if something went wrong. 

Tom, this may sound like a ‘bad news’ post, but I hope it gives you some clarity as to what you can do in Unbounce. I’d love for you to stick around as it sounds like you’re very knowledgable on LP best practices and conversion rate optimization, so if there’s anything further I can do to help you out here, please don’t hesitate to let me (or the community) know. 

You could also put your form in a lightbox then just several buttons placed throughout the page that all open the lightbox.