Multi-Step Forms... What's The What?

I love technology… leading edge, heck even bleeding edge… it’s all awesome. However… multi-step forms make me nervous. This awesome post by @Noah [How To] Add A Multi-Step Form 2.0 has had a lot of great feedback.

So my question is what have YOU done with multi-step forms? I have seen some examples across the web of multi-step forms and landing pages but not much chatter here in the Unbounce Community.

I’d love to see A) Any pages you have (I promise not to submit the form) and B) Any results from any testing you have done with the forms/pages. Basically, I want to be wooed by the multi-steppers to the dark side (or maybe the light side?)!

Thank you in advance!
Joe

I love this idea, Joe!! Can’t wait to see what comes up! :parrot:

I can’t wait any longer! There are so many folks who have chimed in on conversations about multi-step forms in the past, I’ve got to rope them in!

@inboundbear you mentioned "old fashioned’ methods, what kind of success do you see with that? Is that because you want to view who has abandoned the form, or is there another reason?

And @Ben_Carew had mentioned that he was using Typeform and was testing an app called Leadformly - any feedback to report?

@joshlevitan had mentioned he had experience with multi-step forms - were you ever able to find a way to track users who started forms and abandoned them?

@aclayton had mentioned she had implemented @Noah’s script for multi-step forms on her page and was seeing good conversion rates - any updates?

@mike22rtn have you dabbled in the conversational forms? :point_down:

Those have been increasing in popularity and are great for getting the initial pieces of information - I’d be curious to know if there’s any significant drop-off rate.

Curious to hear the feedback on this… :ear:

I am a huge fan of this and have used the conversational forms… so you think I would be totally comfortable with multi-step… but I’m not!

Any particular reasons why?

Mostly the additional work and testing. With multi-step comes multi-problems. But, if its worth it and the form is stable then I’m more than willing to invest the labor into using them. My fear is conversion rates drop and the reason is a black hole. That’s why I want to see what others have done and hear how it has worked, or not worked.

@Joe_Savitch
Depends what your market is BUT there is always a reason why the conversion rates drop.

The most common reason is that people do not get what they expected once they completed a step and that is probably because it was not clear enough what will happen.

Few real life examples - a quote for any sort of service request form - no matter what you explain to people there is always the hope that they will see an online price or quote but the reality is that it almost never happens. So single step forms benefit from the fact that although all the “scary” information such as email and phone is requested straight away people think that if they just fill out that info they will get the online quote.

When you do that in a multi step form and do not explain properly that after step 1 the system will do a check if they qualify for something, or that additional information is going to be needed once they go through step 1 they just are so dissapointed that they leave. Not showing visually the number of steps the form has and where the customer currently is hurts conversions as well.

So what I want to say is that it’s complicated and it depends on your particular scenarion & product/service :smiley:

@Jess @Joe_Savitch

Nicely put by @nik_adiko re multi-step forms. We tested @Noah 's multi-step form on an ebook offer which hitherto had only 3 remaining fields to get the ebook - name, email, phone. We added one easy qualifying question at the front and then using Noahs code, delivered the original 3 in each step afterwards (4 steps in total) but because of perhaps the lack of a visual indicator in the steps (and no doubt other reasons) we saw conversions decrease compared to the original where the 3 high threat questions were front and centre.

@Jess re typeform, because of the lack of mobile responsiveness with unbounce’s pages we had consistently terrible conversion rates and so we abandoned it. Also a known issue here in Australia is Typeform runs really slowly / has a large lag time. This tanked conversions further.

We signed up to leadformly.com to solve this issue and despite other issues with this app (it’s quite young) we have now found a good source of quality leads using a multi-step form embedded in unbounce pages. This obviously presents issues with using unbounce’s conversion tools and A/B testing which is not ideal.

@Ben_Carew
So far I think the best multi step solution for Unbounce is to use multi step form but with different page for each step.

I know it might be a bit painful to integrate as you need to pass on values as hidden fields at each step but this gives you 100% control over the whole process. You can have visual indicators for the progress, split test every step to find the best convertion option and even have a different Exit Overlay (Convertable) based on the progress of the customer.

That’s how we do it right now and experiencing great results.

Leadformly is not bad but still would always lack the A/B testing functionality that you can get with Unbounce.

We have to try this Nik. It’s about managing expectations at the end of the day as you said.

Does anyone have any tactics on reducing the entry of false contact information on the page? This is a constant problem for us which we have recently minimised by reconfiguring our Adwords campaigns. But the false info still keeps coming in. IS this just part of online lead generation? Thoughts anyone? @Jess

@Ben_Carew

What is the biggest issue - fake emails or fake phone numbers?

um usually if there’s a fake number the person puts in a fake email too.

I’m not sure if they are bots but I didn’t think bots were an issue on pages running from Adwords campaigns.

I love multi step. All of our pages are mutistep these days very much lead by testing.

Agree there can be a bit multi-headache which goes with the territory.

One of our pages over the course of a year we have taken from 12% cr to 39% at last check. With around 12000 leads making up the 39% data sample - definitely not a low validity fluke.

This form captures around 10 fields including tel, email, name & address.

Multi step was a big part of this. One of many but a big factor:

My tips:

• 2-3 fields per page
  • Start VERY unpersonal - relevant but low friction. - - Drop down or radio (make it really easy for first two pages)
  • Then move more personal in order of friction amount - usually in this order: name, address, email, telephone.
  • If you can add valid reasons why you need their tel and why it is important (for their benefit)
  • show appealing progress bar - e.g on a 3 page form we show 66% complete on page 2 (actually they progress from 33 to 66 as they go through the page - but we’re optimists :wink: )

We tested call to actions on buttons and now use:

P1 - GET MY FREE QUOTE -> (adjust for product)
P2 - NEXT
P3 - GET MY FREE QOUTE

Hey Alex
They’re all good suggestions and ones we have already mostly deployed.

Adding little reasons in brackets under the high threat questions (email, phone) have nudged conversion up a fraction too.

Our buttons currently:

We changed “Next” to “Continue →” - why? Don’t ask me. You vouch for “Next”?
Final button is “Get My Free Report →”

One other thing re amount of fields on each step: we speculated that having the high threat questions, name, email, phone in single steps (our whole form is single field steps) was akin to little stabs to the user which was harming conversion. We thought that having these questions in a block at the end was better because the user was able to digest the threat questions once and deal with it. We only put email (reason), and phone (reason) on the last page.

We found conversions went down doing this and that it is better to go single step on the threat questions in the order that you specify above, ie. phone number is last. We still get fake phone numbers but that is because we are collecting leads in a highly commoditised market with a lot of shopping around and competition.

I don’t think we will ever solve our fake details problem. If people don’t want to be contacted they will not be contacted.

Hope that helps someone.

Hi Ben, sounds good. Most of our pages we have email and phone on the last step. From memory when testing splitting phone onto a single last step was very similar in terms of cr.

I do remember there was a 27% drop off rate on the telephone page which was interesting.

We haven’t tested ‘continue’ we’ll give it a go :grinning:

Agree - fake details can be influenced but go with the territory…

One more thing which seems counter intuitive. In many cases we do add low threat questions just to build the gradual engagement. (Goes against everything I have done in previous years - shorter form - more conversions)

Easy non persobal relevant questions at the start - we dont need them but effective to add in order to start with easy questions… (no need if you have good easy questions you actually require)

@Alex_Scovell and @Ben_Carew can you share links to your pages if I/We promise NOT to submit the forms :smiley: