Minor Tweaks to Text Editor

At CTA Conf I was speaking to Geoff and he had mentioned to post these here. Although minor, they can be a bit annoying compared to the last text editor.

1. You can align text to the left, right, and center but no longer in a “block” formation.

2. When copying text from outside windows it now keeps the formatting/spacing/font which can be rather annoying to always be changing–rather than taking on the parameters already set in the text box. Not sure how many people run into this issue, but personally, I find it time consuming when sent new text changes.

Q: If solved, what value would this provide (ex. increased efficiency, cost savings, etc.)?
A: Cleaner designs, a lot of saved time not having to reset about 4 fields when copying new text.

Q: Is this being solved by another workaround or any other tool today?
A: No known workaround currently

Hey, I agree, the block or “justify” formatting option would be nice to have back. But there is a simple workaround at the moment. You can go into the source code for the text, and add it manually.

you have 2 options for that custom css or inline css for me the second is the best option

<p style="color:blue;font-size:46px; text-align: left;">
  I'm a big, blue, <strong>strong</strong> paragraph or you can use <span style="color:red;">red</span>
</p>

Hi @colinsa

Thanks for the feedback! I’ll take a stab here at answering these :slight_smile:

1. We hear ya on the justify text and have plans to add that back in, in the near future!

2. Ah that was another experiment as well b/c when we did usability testing, we found that customers did want to preserve some of the styling/formatting when copying over from another text editor, such as Google Docs. For instance, bullets and headings are preserved, colors are stripped. It’s tricky to account for ALL the use cases people are copying/pasting from. If you can elaborate more on your specific case, that would be helpful for us!