Making landing pages pop using moving images

• 7 February 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi, I just noticed monday.com are using what looks like gifs? The page looks awesome anyway!

A few questions around this, if they are using gifs should it not cause a big decrease in speed?

And if they’re not using gifs how the hell do I get those sort of moving images on my page?! 😂

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hey @Lee_Moio1,

If you are referring to the “animations” that showcase the product, it’s actually videos and not GIFs.

The scrolling logos are just a script and PNGs.

Depending on the GIF and the size, you can still use them if you optimize them a bit.

However that’s for simple GIFs. If it’s something more complicated you should look into videos on a loop. Preferably externally hosted on a dedicated video platform like Vimeo or Wistia.

Best,
Hristian

Userlevel 1

So these videos have no play buttons on them and the monday.com page is superfast.

If they were using gifs you would definitely notice a slow down.

So I wonder what video software they are using to get page to look like that?? I doubt its vimeo.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

The play buttons or for that matter any control buttons can be hidden with a good video player.

Most of these players load async so they don’t impact your page performance.

The actual page seems to be custom coded and probably on a static site framework.
The videos are loaded through Cloudinary.

Badge +3

To @Hristian’s point, they’ve done a really clever job of getting the animation in there. The videos are below the fold on desktop, and are loading only when accessed via scroll. In addition, they’re loading using play buttons (for me, at least) on mobile.

(What’s interesting, too, is that monday.com is actually quite slow if you were to look only at Google-provided metrics: https://lighthouse-dot-webdotdevsite.appspot.com//lh/html?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmonday.com. Lighthouse is pinging them for a bunch of unused JavaScript.

Do they care? Probably not – it’s freakin’ Monday. They can do what they want. But if I saw that Performance score on a site/page with any SEO implications, I’d be quite concerned. The page is functionally quite fast to humans, but the robots don’t necessarily see it that way.)