How to use Exit Overlays (and say Goodbye to Lost Conversions)

:unbounce: Update August 15, 2017

This article has been archived due to the fact that we have officially built and released Unbounce Convertables™ which makes building + launching exit overlays much, much easier.

With Convertables, you can launch targeted overlays on top of any web page, each with a dedicated call to action.

Customizable triggers and targeting rules give you complete control over who sees your offers and when, so you can serve the most relevant offers to the right audience.

:link: Click here to learn more

referringurls

It’s the ideal scenario: David, a 46 year old lawyer from your home state has read your landing page about roofing repair and is ready to fill out your form with his contact info. He clicked through from an ad, read about your service, and wants an estimate from you.

Huzzah!

As he reaches the form field to enter his email, however, he realizes he’s not totally sure what kind of material he wants for his replacement roof. There are tons of options to choose from, and Ð now that he’s thinking about it Ð he really should consult with his neighbor who’s done a replacement before for some tips.

ÒI’ll come back tomorrow and apply for the free estimate when I’m sureÓ, he thinks.

And that’s it.

You never hear from David. A week later he calls up a company his coworker recommended on the fly. But hey Ð this happens to the best of us. Even if your landing page was so alluring that it led to a conversion start, there’s no stopping an abandoning visitor…

Or is there?

The Pain of the Abandoning Visitor

One of conversion’s most silent killers is the abandoning visitor. These are the people that express initial interest by cruising around your page, but end up leaving for a few reasons, which can include:

• A lack of persuasion: They weren’t convinced the offer was needed (Òhmm, I don’t have this exact problem, so this offer isn’t for meÓ)

• A pricing conflict: They didn’t feel the deal was sweet enough

• A lack of urgency: There didn’t appear to be a deadline on the offer or any major incentive to convert now (ÒI’ll just come back tomorrow if I’m still interested)

• A lack of knowledge: The might not be problem aware (ÒWhy would I need this security measure in the first place?Ó)

• A misunderstanding: A visitor may have ended up on your landing page after looking for something else (which they didn’t find on your page even though you might offer it)

• They’re a tire kicker: They’ve heard about you, but aren’t ready to commit just yet.

• They got distracted: There was an announcement about free donuts in the kitchen. Your landing page was great and everything. But, y’know…wasn’t donuts.

But it doesn’t have to be this way!

As is the case with many of the reasons above, people often leave your page because they’re missing a piece of information, but you can take advantage of what’s known as an exit overlay as a means of filling the knowledge gap and trying to win these folks back.

Exit overlays are modal lightboxes that use exit-intent technology to monitor your visitor’s activities as they browse your site. As soon as someone demonstrates intent to leave your page (maybe mousing over the ‘back’ button, or inching toward closing the tab in their browser, for example), an exit overlay is triggered to prompt your offer (or even a different, sweeter offer) before they click away.

Like this:

Above: an example of an exit overlay by Neil Patel, founder of Quicksprout.

Now, you might be thinking, Òwait a minute, you’re just describing popups! Google frowns upon popups and this will negatively affect my AdWords and quality score!Ó But exit overlays are different (and comply with Google’s policy). Google allows modal overlays that open within the same window the user was browsing, and they even specify within their policy that this type of graphic appearing on a landing page is fair game. They simply don’t like pop-ups that open in a separate window or impede navigation.

In any case, consider how valuable it would have been for the roofing company to provide David with an exit overlay prompting him to learn more about the types of roofing materials he could choose from and scenarios for why he’d choose each. He abandoned the page because he wasn’t sure of his options, but an exit overlay could have been a means of educating David about his options instead of having him bounce. The roofing company could have offered a PDF download of information in exchange for David’s email (so that they could at least followup).

In short, an exit overlay is like a second chance at conversion. It’s your Òbut-wait-there’s-moreÓ moment.

And the best thing about this exit-intent technology is that you can start using it to prompt conversions on your Unbounce pages.

What can you do with an Exit Overlay on your Landing Pages?

The opportunities for your exit overlay are really only limited by the extent of your imagination, but here are a few examples of what you could implement on a specific landing page today to inspire some ideas.

You could:

• Counter potential objections to your landing page offer : (i.e. if someone’s leaving, they might have a reason, so why not counter the top reason customers leave your site with a strategic piece of info? You could glean information on why people are leaving your site using a Qualaroo survey, for example, and then set up an exit overlay countering this objection).

• Add a dash of urgency to a sweet deal: Sure you’ve presented your offer for 15% off your services on your landing page, but is there a way you could make this deal time-sensitive? Try an exit overlay with a prompt to ÒAct fast, this offer only lasts for XY hours!Ó.

• Build your subscription lists: Depending on your product or service, your landing page may address the top of the funnel and it might be too early in the awareness phase for certain prospects to convert. So why not ensure visitors keep receiving your brand’s messaging? You can add an exit overlay to your landing page with a prompt to subscribe to your blog. Your visitor may not need your service right now, but they might fall in love with your brand’s content and become an advocate nonetheless.

• Test out different messaging: If your landing page copy uses keywords appealing to one particular segment of your audience, maybe your exit overlay could try a different angle or headline appealing to a different segment.

These are all possible opportunities for your landing page and there are plenty more depending on your specific use case. After you have your idea for what your overlay should accomplish, you can design one to use in Unbounce.

Designing Your Exit Overlay

To build your exit overlay, you’ll useRooster Engagement Tools. Unbounce recently acquired Rooster Engagement as a way to help you not only build landing pages to achieve conversions, but also leverage your pages to their full potential with exit intent technology.

Once you have logged in to Rooster, you can either design an original exit overlay using HTML and CSS, or you can choose a Rooster template. Using the inline editor, you can then adjust the template’s copy and colour scheme to match the look of your landing page. From there just save your changes, and you can head over to the Unbounce page builder to implement the overlay.

For step by step details on creating an overlay in Rooster, check out the details here.

After you’re happy with the design and message, you can head over to the Unbounce Page Builder to implement the overlay.

Setup your Rooster Exit Overlay in Unbounce:

Once you’ve designed an overlay using Rooster, you can get it working on your landing page in Unbounce using just four easy steps. As a prerequisite, you’ll need:

1. Your Rooster Script

2. Access to your Unbounce account

3. At least 1 Unbounce landing page

The steps from there are straightforward.

Copy this Rooster script to your clipboard, and then…

It’s important to note that Selecting a domain doesn’t mean Rooster will automatically run on every page. It just means Rooster will be available to use on a selected domain should you choose to target it within the next step.

Select the necessary pages, and click Save and Publish Script in the bottom righthand corner.

Step 4: Target Your Specific Pages

To have your overlay appear on specific pages (based on their domains in step 3), you’ll login to Rooster and set up URL targeting. To do this, see the instructions here.

And that’s all, folks!

Want to Start Using Exit Overlays?

We’re really excited about the Rooster acquisition; particularly excited to see how customers like you want to start using exit overlays to boost conversions. If you want to help shape how Rooster and Unbounce play together, we’d love to hear your feedback. Send an email to info@unbounce.com and Tia Kelly, Unbounce’s Customer Success Manager will be standing by. Get in touch, or let us know how you’d like to use exit intent to capture more leads and boost conversions with a comment below!

Great article, Jen!  Sounds like a match made in heaven and a great up sell :slight_smile:

Is it $139 per year?  Oh, and yes, I did fall for the exit overlay on GetRooster…

-Joe

Hi Joe! The Rooster pricing page amounts are the per month costs. I will follow up with you via email to let you know what options are available right now!

As Joe said - great article and sounds like an amazing piece of kit !

Hey Tia - this does look great - but might be a bit pricy for me and my clients right now - but would be very interested in testing it out with one client in particular - be great if you could get in touch and let me know options !

Cheers

Amit

Hi Amit! Will email you, too :slight_smile:

Hopefully this will become part of the standard package soon for all pro-users and above *fingers crossed*

Good to hear that’s what you’re looking for, Daniel! We are definitely in the process of trying to figure out how it will all work together. Thanks for chiming in.

Does it work on mobiles??

Hi Francisco! Rooster overlays do not currently fire for mobile visitors. The main reason for this is we are trying to find (and even decide if there is) a way to fire overlays without majorly disrupting the user experience. We’re still exploring the impact of options and are hoping to find a solution that keeps these disruptions to a minimum (we want to keep the product as delightful as possible) before anything is finalized. Right now there is no estimated launch date.

Hi Tia. Looks like a great new feature addition for existing unbounce users. Great job! Though we also agree with Amit above that it does seem a bit pricy at the current monthly model. We’d be interested to learn if there are additional options for early unbounce adopters in the near term. Thanks as always! :slight_smile:

Awesome! Glad you’re interested. Is this Mat? I can email you the details directly if you want to get on board with testing it out.

It sounds great but the pricing is too high for multiple domains. I could justify it if I could split the cost among multiple customers, but for just one customer? No way.

Sounds good Tia. Yes, please email when you can. We’ll make sure Mat get’s the note.

Hey AnnastasiaÑthanks for the feedback. If you’d like to test it out during these early stages and provide us with additional insight as you use it, we could work out some pricing options for you as an Unbounce customer! Let me know if you want me to email you with details.

Will do!

So let me understand – $139/month and does not work on 50% of web traffic – mobile.  Sounds like half a product for way too much.  Let me know when it works on mobile and it is priced appropriately, since I can find free alternatives all over this site.

Hello Tia, are you still working on this for mobile devices? Also, why is Rooster so damn expensive? 

Hey Bill! Thanks for all the feedbackÑI’m wholeheartedly welcoming this as we are seeking to make some big improvements so need to hear the good & the bad. I’m going to follow up with you via email!

Hi John! We’re doing a lot of research right now on things like how to potentially integrate Rooster with Unbounce (or whether to keep it separate) and what features are going to be required before advancing any dev work. Mobile is definitely a big consideration. As for pricingÑthat’s also up for discussion right now :slight_smile: I’ll send you an email with more details!

I wrote a post about this on another thread on here before.

Will start by saying I am a huge fan of Unbounce, I have used it for a few years now in different jobs and now just having started my own agency, it is my landing page creator of choice as i feel the other tools out there are simply copying what Unbounce does.

Just seen the announcement on the Rooster website that it has been acquired by Unbounce. Do you guys have any plans to do anything about the pricing?

When you compare what you get for $49 and $99 with Unbounce to then how much you would have to pay to get more than one domain with Rooster, the difference is incredible.

Its not even clear that that price is per month.

With any Unbounce plan it costs $5 per month to add a domain. With all the extra things you can do with an Unbounce account.

Compare that to what is only a popup/exit intent tool, so it has only one purpose. $139 per month still only gets you one domain, you have to go up to $239 per month (just under $3000 per year) Why on earth you would need 3 or 5 different exit intent popups is beyond me.

It really is a vast sum of money when you consider the number of timed/action specific/exit intent plugins out there that are free like Sumo and Leadin and other more in depth tools like Optin Monster.

If it is in fact true that this is now an Unbounce company, the Rooster page without clear information and incredibly high prices, seems very Unbounce like.

Dez