How to pass UTM variables in custom html block?

• 23 August 2019
  • 4 replies

Badge

I am using Stripe Checkout (client side) to run purchases through stripe for a test. Stripe allows me to configure the success page URL after a successful transaction takes place. However, I want to pass UTM variables from my purchase page to that success page: specifically, email, name and patient relationship (p_relation).

Because those will obviously be different for each person, I need my custom html block to append these variables to the success page URL in the html block.

Currently, dynamic text won’t work for custom html blocks (!!) so I desperately need a work around…

Here’s the code I’m using for my purchase button:

Anyone implemented something like this?

Thanks in advance!!
Kirsti

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi @kirstihegg,

You can grab the UTM parameters with JS and append them to your success URL but where are you getting the “email, name and patient relationship”?

Best,
Hristian

Badge

They are coming in on the page url.

Thanks!

Kirsti

Badge

I also neglected to mention this piece of code I figured might help out (but as a non-coder, I’m not entirely sure how to implement it within UB… https://www.sitepoint.com/get-url-parameters-with-javascript/

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I think i have a way easier code for you that might help. Will require a little bit of coding knowledge though…

1. Make sure Jquery is added to your page.

2. Add the following script:

<script>  
    $(document).ready(function(){

// REGEX to Parse URL Queries
    function url_query( query ) {
        query = query.replace(/[\[]/,"\\\[").replace(/[\]]/,"\\\]");
        var expr = "[\\?&]"+query+"=([^&#]*)";
        var regex = new RegExp( expr );
        var results = regex.exec( window.location.href );
        if ( results !== null ) {
            return results[1];
        } else {
            //falback in case its empty
            return "empty";
        }}

// Example usage - /?email=luis.francisco@unbounce.com&tag=DesignTrack
    var e = url_query('email'); //variable e would fetch the value of 'email' url parameter 

});
    </script>
  1. Replace the url_query(‘email’) to whatever is your utm parameter.
    For example: url_query(‘name’)

2. Now you can use the variable you defined (e in this case) where you want to use the url parameter value.

Let me know if this helps 🙂