How to capture contact info after receiving PayPal payment?

• 12 September 2018
  • 4 replies

So I’ve created this landing page which links to 3 different PayPal buttons: http://unbouncepages.com/theoexperiencecheckout/

When creating these 3 PayPal buttons, I made sure to enable the feature to ‘Take customers to this URL when they finish checkout’ and I entered the URL for the following Thank You page: http://unbouncepages.com/theoexperiencethankyou/

However, when I test this out, after completing the PayPal payment it still doesn’t automatically redirect to the Thank You page. It first goes to a PayPal confirmation page, and from there you have to click the “Return to Merchant” button which then takes you to the Thank You Page.

I’m wondering if there is a way to automatically redirect customers from PayPal to the Thank You page without them having to click the “Return to Merchant” button?

Ultimately, I just want to make sure that I can capture the customer’s contact info after they’ve paid on PayPal. If there’s a better way to do this, I’m all ears.

Thank you!

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hey @Stefano_Ganddini,

Did you turn this on (screenshot) as well in your PayPal account?

Best,
Hristian

Hey Hristian,

Thanks for the response.

I did come across a thread about this feature on PayPal’s forums (https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Merchant-services-Archive/Re-directing-to-a-Thank-You-Page/td-p/11205) but I had a couple concerns about it:

1. My understanding is that turning this Auto Return feature on will automatically redirect ALL PayPal payments to the specified URL.

Meaning, if I received a PayPal payment for another product / service, for example, it would also automatically redirect them to my Unbounce Thank You page, which I do not want to do.

Please correct me if my understanding about this is wrong.

1. According to the above mentioned thread, the Auto Return only works if the buyer pays with a PayPal account. However, if the buyer pays with the Credit Card Option, then it is a legal requirement that they are taken to the receipt page where PayPal gives them the chance to print out a receipt. After that, the buyer must click on the “Return to Merchant” link in order to return to the site.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi @Stefano_Ganddini,

It’s been a while since I’ve setup PayPal payments but as far as I remember, you need the Auto Return set to on and then the per button settings will override the default one.

So you just need a default/general Thank You URL for the general setup and use whatever you need for each button.

Also, I remember something about being able to also override the redirecturl through the button’s HTML.

Best,
Hristian

Ok, I’ll test that out today and see how it goes.

Do you happen to know if there’s a better way to do this?

As I mentioned in the original post, ultimately, I just want to make sure that I can capture the customer’s contact info after they’ve paid on PayPal. If there’s a better way to do this, I’m all ears.

Thank you.