[HOW-TO] Add dynamic personalization to your landing page

• 6 November 2015
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

A few months ago, I came across an interesting service that I thought would work great with an Unbounce landing page. However, projects and client work kept me from testing it out until today.

The service is called Targeting Monkey and it provides you with a way to dynamically personalized your pages through simple HTML.
[I’m not affiliated with the service in any way, just like what they are doing]

Example Use Cases 

You can insert an HTML or text element that would dynamically pick up and display the desired attribute

• Over 12345 customers from [country/state/city] are taking advantage of our cleaning service.
  • Our customer support staff speaks [language]
  • “Awesome App” supports your [device]
  • Let us help you book a flight from [city]
  • [browser] users are getting more done with the "Awesome Extension"
    There are of course limitations on what attributes you can use, but other than that it’s really up to you. https://targetingmonkey.com/docs/attributes

You can also wrap the attribute in a and make it show/hide a piece of content based on location/device/language/etc.

How It Works 

1. You register for the service on the Targeting Monkey website (They have a free account for up to 500 hits per day)
  2. Insert a single line of CSS
  3. Place your desired HTML/text element on the page
  4. That’s it. 

Keep in mind that since you’ll be loading a third party CSS file you should always test it thoroughly.

Also, just because you can add personalization it doesn’t always mean that you should. However, if you have enough traffic/conversions it would be a great A/B test for your page.  

I’m planning on using this in an upcoming project in a few weeks but if you decide to give it a try, post a comment here and share your results. 

7 replies

Thanks for sharing. I’ll have to check this out to see if it will be a good solution for a project we are currently looking into.

I did notice, however, that the Targeting Monkey website states that the free account is actually only for up to 500 hits per day. The $39/m plan is up to 5,000 hits per day.

This is great! Thanks for sharing! 

Hristian,

This looks great! Not sure how I can use it yet, but I’m pumped up about it! 🙂

Thanks for sharing!

Dan

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi Kevin, 

Thanks for pointing out my mistake. It is indeed 500 hits instead of 5000 but I can’t seem to be able to edit the original post now. 

Hey Hristian, thanks for posting! I wanted to chime in on this thread with Kevin, Kenji and Dan to let you all know that you can use Unbounce’s Dynamic Text Replacement to personalize your landing pages. 

Check out our guide on Dynamic Text Replacement here, and if you have any questions about how personalization using DTR works, please do get in touch at support@unbounce.com and we’ll be glad to chat more! 

Hi Hristian - any new recommendations since this post a few years ago?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi @DBranco,

Indeed the post if quite old.

If you share a bit more on what you are trying to accomplish in terms of personalisation there might be a more recent and/or appropriate solution.

Best,
Hristian