How I Would Like To Manage A Shitload Of UB Pages

I’m not sure if this is really a “problem” per se, but after using the HELL out of Unbounce over the last few weeks, it became apparent to me that while a really awesome tool, I’m not sure it’s conducive to running hundreds, or even thousands of landing pages. I’m running 13 and some have multiple variants. To run lots and lots of landing page campaigns, I think I need:

1. Search - I need to search for pages based on titles rather than scroll through them all. (not sure if the system paginates, but I would assume it could run pretty slow with lots of pages and variations).
  2. Group - along with searching, I need to just create a “groups” of pages. Then it would be nice to replicate the whole dang group. I found myself creating duplicate landing pages for affiliates, when all I really wanted to do was duplicate 5 pages and put a new header on them. This shouldn’t take me a long time to do.
  3. Easy duplication - It’s a little hard to duplicate pages (they way I want to). Sure, you can do it from a top level, or on a variant level, but what if I want to copy a variant to a new top level page?
  4. Let me duplicate JS by doing an include - unless I duplicate the page, I have to re-enter all the js snippets I have running (3 on each page). I just loaded 5 new pages and had to copy it all in and it took quite some time, and I’m almost positive I made a mistake somewhere.
  5. I noticed I kept making the same common elements on each landing page, like FAQ’s, about the company, same header with phone number, etc. Maybe let me save a Page Section so I can simply include into a new page later on.
  6. I’d also like to clear the results for a single variant, and not the whole group. That, or do the exclude my IP thing because I keep hitting the page multiple times for corrections even after publishing.

And let me add as a final note that what I’m asking for may not even be part of the business model for UB, and maybe 98% of people want to just throw up a page or two - this is perfectly fine. I seem to be needing it for lots and lots of pages, so this seems like a viable problem to solve, either way.

I think that’s all…thanks for listening :slight_smile:

Managing / Editing Landing Pages Simultaneously
Copy and paste between templates

Hi Ryan,
Thanks so much for this feedback, it’s awesome! You are very aligned with a lot of the issues we are wanting to solve sooner rather than later, and I can assure you that you’re not the only user that has started to amass a large number of pages (ourselves included for our own campaigns). I’ll answer your questions below:

1. Search: Look for a new search feature on your dashboard in the next week or so (it’ll only appear if you have more than 5 pages on your dashboard). This will let you search across the page name, url and status (“published”, “unpublished”, “new changes” and soon “test results”)

2. Groups: We have been discussing this a lot as more and more users have expressed a need for some type of ‘page grouping’. Some use-cases we’ve heard are “I want to create a funnel of a few pages” or “I am running a PPC campaign with a different page for each ad group” or “I have a different page for each traffic source (facebook, twitter, etc) and I want to group them together” or “I’m pushing Unbounce to its limit and have created a full-fledged microsite and want my pages more easily grouped”.

However we implement a “Page Groups” feature, we want to satisfy all of these scenarios (and then some). Duplicating one of these groups will definitely be a useful option.

3. Easy duplication: It sounds like the feature you are describing here is more of a “move this variant” feature. This might include creating a duplicate and moving it at the same time, but essentially you are looking to transfer variants between pages, right? We do get this request every now and then from users and it would be a great addition to the variant controls.

4. Duplicate JS: This is another feature we have had on the list for a while (along with your next point). We realize that most javascript is going to be included on all of your pages (at least within a specific custom domain – i.e. Google Analytics). We’ve been thinking about ways to let you have control over javascript from a higher level then just the page in question. Perhaps creating a javascript snippet and then just checking off the pages that you’d like it to be included on.

5. Element Snippets: From the very beginning we’ve been excited about implementing this – the ability to manage page elements as global “snippets” that you can include all over the place. This could apply to things like forms or buttons, but also as you say, an entire Page Section.

6. IP Blocking: This is also something we want to tackle sooner than later - it’s not as high up on our list as some other stats improvements, but it’s certainly there.

Once again, this is awesome feedback Ryan, and it’s great to see some of our earlier ideas being validated by real pain points - plus some improvements we haven’t thought of yet. I’m turning this thread into an “idea” so that others can chime in and vote on the features that would impact them. We’ll also keep this thread in the loop as any of these get released.

Cheers,
Carter

Any updates here on the page varient copying and moving to other pages? This would save me HOURS.

Yep, it’s done! You’ll see a “Move to another page” option in the variant’s ‘gear’ menu – this’ll let you either move it, or move a copy of it. Hope it really does save you hours :slight_smile:

Ah, sorry…long day. This is not what I was talking about. I’m talking about #5 - this would save me HOURS. The page variants only saves me if I got everything right…once I’ve built out a mini site, and have to edit the HEADER, let’s say, I have to go through every damn page and edit each one accordingly.

I want to take that header page section edit and port it to the other ten pages.

any word on this in the roadmap?

What is the status on these issues? As far as I can tell, it’s been 9 months and almost none of these 6 great ideas has been transformed into reality.

I would really like to see LP Grouping, and some kind of global elements, so that if we need a change to, for example the signup form, we can do it all at once.

Getting desperate for Grouping - my landing pages are out of control !

Exactly. Just remember to “Like” this idea so that the Unbounce guys see this :slight_smile:

Just a quick thread update that page grouping (wish #5) is available in Unbounce Labs. See Carter’s official announcement for more information:

I feel the need to be really clear: the Wish #5 in this thread has nothing to do with Groups.

Where is the team at on moving/sharing snippets/page sections between pages/campaigns?

Example: The header section of ALL of our landing pages is identical. Any change means I’ve gotta go through 30 pages to make the same change 30 times. I use UB almost every day, and this is a huge time drag.

I get roadmaps, so no hate on not having this out at this point, but you’ve gotta be careful with Carter implying people are being heard for more than a year. He’s often suggested that moving Variants between pages was the feature being asked for and it most certainly isn’t.

How I Would Like To Manage A Shitload Of UB Pages (a year ago - this thread)
Can content be copied between pages? (year)
Apply changes across variants(7 months - Carl)
Creating MiniSites on Unbounce(1 month)
Copy thank you page to other campaigns (1 month ago, “we’ll tackle this soon”)

Honestly, put me out of my misery and tell me it’s NOT coming:)

I would add that in some ways, Groups is not really adding any significant time savings. When you’re in a group page edit mode, and then click to Dashboard, you get put back outside the group.

Also, what about duplicating a “group” of pages? We manage 4 or 5 sales pages for resellers, and when I onboard a new one, I have to copy and change 5 pages, versus being able to just copy the group, make a single logo change that carries across all pages in the group, etc.

If we are to really get the benefit of using UB to manage large numbers of pages, we really need global elements, and several global element types that can be changed once, and carried across a group of pages.

Hey Derek,
That was definitely our mistake marking item #5 as being finished - it’s clearly not (Evan meant to comment on #2 instead). This “sharing content between pages” feature request is outstanding, and is a huge feature - both in benefit to our customers, and in effort on our part. Unfortunately I can’t put you out of your misery by telling you it’s NOT coming, because it is - I just don’t have an ETA to give you quite yet.

We have a list of editor-related features that we have prioritized (currently at the top of the list are: rounded corners and gradients, making template image assets available in the image library, and sharing content between pages), and we’re in the process of building out our editor-focused team so that we can knock these things off the list sooner than later. If you want to help with that, please feel free to share our Javascript Developer job posting :slight_smile:

Hey Ryan, these are mostly the features we’ve got planned to implement before we move Page Grouping out of “Labs” and make it the norm for everyone. We recognize the inability to duplicate groups, rename groups, etc… make it less than ideal as a fully supported feature.

That being said, see my comment above to Derek about making batch changes to content across multiple pages (changing a logo once and having it carry across all pages). We will likely move Page Grouping out of labs before we have that feature implemented.

Unbounce is just not the right tool to manage larger amount of landing pages at the moment and looking at current pace of innovation it won’t be any time soon.

Definitely nice tool to throw something up quick without hassle, but causing serious frustration when you start to have a more sizable account.

I couldn’t agree more… the number one reason (despite loving unbounce) that we continue to look for alternatives is because there is not way to share / transfer elements between pages or to make universal changes to group of pages. If I’m going to build navigation to link a group of pages, I’d really love to build it once. And (as previously mentioned) onboarding new clients is a horrendous process - it takes hours to update each clickable element across a group of pages. PLEASE move this to the top of your priority list. I suspect that those who aren’t asking for it just haven’t realized what they could accomplish if they had it…

While I’ve been faithful to Unbounce, I did give Lander a try. Looks like they copied everything UB has, just a slightly different UI. That means UB still has an opportunity to differentiate and have an offering for agencies.

Hey guys.
Quite new to Unbounce but immediately I felt a need of having something described in points 4 and 5. Did anything change since the discussion started? I have 15 pages right now and as many elements are exactly the same, it’s huge time waster having to do 15 times copy/paste (actually 15x2 or so).
thx

Hey Filip, lots has changed since this discussion started and those two points have since shot up to the top of our priority list. In addition to supporting mobile-ready pages with responsive design which we’ve started, and accommodating dynamic text insertion for customers running PPC campaigns (which is now in a closed beta,) these two projects are next.

Alright thx. Keep up the good work guys.