Solved

How do I block a specific email domain

• 17 June 2020
  • 6 replies

Badge

We have a specific scam company that keeps submitting a form on our site. I have tried looking into blocking them, but they are not using a free domain (and we don’t want to block those anyway) and every time they fill out the form their IP address changes so i can’t block them this way. Is there a way to block emails that come from this specific domain?

icon

Best answer by Hristian 18 June 2020, 08:46

View original

6 replies

Badge +3

@Metro_Group -

You could do this using Zapier. Run a path (https://zapier.com/blog/zapier-paths-conditional-workflows/) that sends you a confirmation email if the field doesn’t include that bad domain, but doesn’t if it does.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hey @Metro_Group,

You can still use the script for free email services but instead of using it to block gmail, yahoo, etc. you’ll swap out the domain you want to block.

However, I have a feeling this would turn in to a whac-a-mole game once your scammers realize they can’t submit their email address.

In this case, I would follow @Adam_Smartschan advice and deal with it in the backend.

Best,
Hristian

Badge

Thank you guys very much! we have the emails going off to various location managers so the zapier workaround may not be viable in this case. but adjusting the script Hristian listed seems to do the trick!

Badge

Hey @Hristian , we are resurrecting this old question. We adjusted the “script for free email services” to exclude certain domains such as bozzcello.com, however, what if the domain doesn’t end in .com? For example, we have spam forms coming from abusono.skom.id, since the free email script doesn’t include the dot or anything after it, how would I include this in that script?

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hey @Metro_Group, it’s Mike here for the Unbounce CS team. 👋 I wanted to pitch in here and let you know that I tested the free email script with the email domain ‘abusono.skom’ and submitted a lead with the email address ‘mike@abusono.skom.id’ and it was successfully blocked! You can just add it alongside the other domain names in the script to replicate this yourself. I hope this helps! Let me know if you run into any issues. 

Badge

@Michael_McInnes1 awesome thank you!