Google Analytics Referral Exclusion for Convertables

• 19 September 2017
  • 18 replies

Not sure if anyone has experienced this, but our client’s Convertable was claiming a large volume of e-commerce transactions in GA because after it triggered on the client’s site it was passing click-through traffic back to the website as source: b4668…2e1.pages.ubembed.com medium: referral and overwriting the original traffic source.

Here’s how we solved it:
1-First we place the GA code on the Conv. directly through the javascript window in the editor.
2- Next we created a referral exclusion for domain: ubembed.com. (This is in the “Property” column of the GA Admin Panel under “Tracking Info.”)
3- We tested this on a browser by visiting the site in a tab and watching our visit in the Real-Time Section of GA before we clicked our UB Conv Link and afterwards.

UB - did we do this right?

Hope this helps save someone some time.

18 replies

Hey @David_Koye,

This may be down to some of the set up you had specific to this Convertable. I haven’t been able to replicate what you’ve described but if you could message me a link to the host page and the Convertable I’d be interested in taking a look.

I wonder are you aware of the information here for a Convertables and Google Analytics integration https://documentation.unbounce.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002063663

Regards,
Brian

Hi @Brian_Burns,
This is for www.greentophuntfish.com and the convertable is https://app.unbounce.com/2482977/convertables/4cb8ed83-a80c-4224-b2cd-53e6f27c7a64/preview#desktop. Yes we set up the integration originally and that’s when we noticed the capturing of the traffic. This is the data on conversions since the change.

Hi @Brian_Burns @David_Koye,

Same problem for us : since the installation of Convertables/Pop up, “11518aa1b58048e2bbb4b9b192f8c03c.pages.ubembed.com” is in the top referrer in Google Analytics and Facebook Analytics.

Unbounce Embed Code was installed in Google Tag Manager following the Unbounce’s instructions. It seems to be the same for greentophuntfish.com. Could it be the reason?

It would be great to fix this if possible (the referral exclusion in Google Analytics works but it’s not the best solution and it’s not possible to do a referral exclusion for Facebook Analytics).

Thanks,

Hey @fdessort @David_Koye,

Apologies for the late response @David_Koye. After looking into this further I was able to reproduce the issue. For both of the above cases (@fdessort I looked up your published popup) the action of the form submit button is “go to url” and set to go to another of your webpages. Since the popup has a different domain it is appearing as a referral source.

I’m afraid I don’t see any way for us to resolve this issue. At this point all I can recommend is what you’ve both mentioned and add an exclude filter for ubembed.com. It’s unfortunate that Facebook Analytics does’t offer this option.

Sorry I can’t be of more help and please let me know if there are any further questions.

Hi @Brian_Burns, we’re having the same issue where ____.pages.ubembed.com is showing up as a referrer page due to the sticky bar on our landing page. Excluding the traffic through Google Analytics isn’t an option for us because this traffic source is important to measure with the original UTM / referrer page.

Is there a way to get around this? Our landing page is https://get.daily-harvest.com/build-your-box/

Hey @dave12,

I thought a bit more about your issue and came up with a workaround. It’s not pretty and there may be a better way of doing this but hopefully it is of some help to you. It should set the referrer to appear in Google Analytics as the host page’s url. Let me know if this works for you.

You’ll have to add custom JS to both the page and the sticky bar. Here are the steps:

Required Values

1. buttonId - The ID of the button on the popup/sticky bar with the link

2. destinationUrl - The url of the destination page.

3. domain - The domain of the host page the popup/sticky bar triggers on.

4. popupOrigin - The popup/sticky bars embed code url. For this example the value would be “f26e7782694e41398352088f013af031.js.ubembed.com

Step 1.

On the popup/sticky bar set the action on the button to be “Close on click”.

Step 2:

Define the required variables (buttonId and url) and add the script below to the sticky bar. Then republish the sticky bar.

<script>
 const buttonId = "#lp-pom-button-9";
 const domain = "http://unbouncepages.com";

document.querySelector(buttonId).onclick = function () {
   parent.postMessage(JSON.stringify("redirect"), domain);
 };
</script>

Step 3:

Define the required variables (destinationUrl and popupOrigin) and add the script below to the host page. Then republish the page.

<script>
 const destinationUrl = "http://unbouncepages.com/parent-page-redirect-destination-page/";
 const popupOrigin = "f26e7782694e41398352088f013af031.pages.ubembed.com";

// On receiving message from the Convertable set a cookie
 window.onload = function() {
   function handleMessage(e) {
     var eventData = JSON.parse(e.data);

if (e.origin.includes(popupOrigin)) {
       // Check for the message
       if (eventData === 'redirect') {
         window.location.href = destinationUrl;
       } 
     }
   } 

// Listen for the message from the popup
   window.addEventListener('message', handleMessage);
 }
</script>

Thanks for your help on this @Brian_Burns For this Google Analytics issue, does this referral page show up only for users who click on the sticky bar, or not necessarily?

Yes, that should be the case.

@Brian_Burns: Hi Brian, I have sign up forms in popup and sticky bars. When these forms are filled, they are tracked in google analytics via Zapier. The problem is that the source/medium is seen as direct / none. These popups and sticky bars are targeted in google ads; however, the source is seen as direct. How can I fix this? How can the source be seen as Goggle ads and not direct?

Hey I have a similar problem with referral data in GA for a unbounce sticky bar.

I’m a bit confused, as I’m unclear what to put in in fields such as const domain and const destinationUrl
<is that supposed to be the url of my website or the url of the unbounce site??>

Can you please rewrite the script instructions based on this live info of my stickybar?

1. buttonId
    lp-pom-button-12

2. destinationUrl
    recipes.28bysamwood.com

3. domain
    Is that the same as #2 above?

4. popupOrigin
    http://a785103026084cf5b58eb82dc405c5b5.pages.ubembed.com/7a14a8ed-c23a-4e6b-8113-f42c50a071f0/c.html

Hi, I also have this problem and I have doubts like melissa about Brian’s solution.

I think I solved it by editing the google analytics channel grouping, in my case the paid search channel and adding source and the subdomain pages.ubembed.com since all my unbounce traffic is from google ads.

Has anyone tried the solution with javascript, does it work?

best regards

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @billage

First off, that’s great news if you’ve been able to find a solution for this as it’s a fairly sophisticated setup. As for @Brian_Burns, I’m afraid his involvement in the community is limited as his role at Unbounce has changed and he doesn’t have much space in his schedule to keep up with the posts here.

That said, I would defer to the @Community-Leaders for an updated solution here, if someone from that group has time to share any tips.

In the meantime, I’ll keep an eye on this post and try to loop in the right minds to help out.

-Jess

Hi jess,

although my solution was temporary, traffic is still attributed to pages.ubembed.com

Do you plan to stop pop ups or sticky headers from sending traffic from that subdomain of yours?

Right now the source is lost

Thank you for your help

Firstly, I appreciate you giving an answer a crack, as these forums aren’t always well supported.

However it’s important to understand Billage didn’t solve it using Brian’s solution. He said he found a temporary (and clearly unsatisfactory) solution by tweaking Google analytics channel definitions, which tells Google what traffic source to put umbed pages into. It doesn’t actually solve the cross domain traffic problem caused by the fact the sticky bars are iframes.

Secondly, as to your promise to watch this post, and try to wrangle someone in here at some point: Honestly, what I am hearing is that the important people at Unbounce are busy on other matters, and that UB customers are not as important as those other matters.

I mean, how hard is it to get one of those smart people to review the original instructions, and create a support document with a fully tested solution?

Honestly, any software built in a way that obscures attribution is fundamentally unfit for purpose in 2021.

Hi Melissa, totally agree, I have tried Brian’s solution but it doesn’t work, I keep losing the medium.

We need a firm solution from unbounce asap.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey Melissa, to your point here:

To be completely transparent with you, you’re not entirely off the mark – (except for one point: everyone at Unbounce is important) but those that are equipped to come up with a solution to this specific case are busy on other matters at this exact time. I would LOVE it if each request in the community that comes up could be solved within a day, however it’s just not feasible. Another layer that adds some complexity is that since this issue involves an external platform (Google Analytics) that we can’t control, it can sometimes be like trying to shoot a moving target.

That said, I understand a lot of our customers would benefit from this solution.

I’ve made a request for someone from our @UnbounceTechTeam to look into this as soon as they’re available, since this is a bit more in their wheelhouse. If I can get a timeline on when they’re able to take a look I’ll post it here.

I’ll continue to do my best to bring this issue to our team’s attention to find a solution that works for everybody. I’m sorry if I missed the mark in my earlier response, I assure you that the team takes all customer issues very seriously, and are constantly trying to improve the experience for everybody that interacts with our platform.

-Jess

Thank you @Jess i appreciate your efforts here. I’m not having a go at you personally, it’s just frustrating that it’s been several months since I tried to get this sorted. I raised a ticket and Becky from your support team gave it a really good try, and we got some of the way there but we didn’t manage to resolve it fully.

In terms of getting anyone new to look into this matter, I strongly recommend they look at the help desk ticket notes [#382364] so they don’t have to double up on the effort.

Does someone solved this issue? I’m getting the same problem with this referral ubembed pages and when i “exclude” this URL in analytics, my facebook ads bounce rate just dropped a lot and it wasnt working well to make our analysis in analytics.