Geo-targeting phone number

• 7 December 2017
  • 8 replies

Hey guys,

I’m working on creating individual landing pages for over 50 franchises. While the message remains the same throughout, the phone number needs to change accordingly.

I’m already using a script to display the user’s city, but I would like to take it even further by adding some sort of if function: if city=x, display phone number x.

Would anyone happen to have a solution?

Thanks!

Max

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey Max!

Are you using Google’s Call Conversion feature? With a bit of Javascript, Google will dynamically insert a call forwarding number onto your website and allow you to track those calls. Here is our handy support article that explains this in detail, with information on how to get that set up.

I did a bit of research into the way the Google Call Conversion script dynamically changes phone numbers, and, as I suspected, the numbers do change based on location, offering either an equivalent to a local number, or a local number (if not toll free). This then allows you to track the caller’s location and obtain conversion data from that. Google offers an excellent explanation of how this works, as well the countries for which they offer dynamic phone numbers.

To create dynamic phone numbers using URL parameters, you could use Unbounce’s dynamic text replacement feature and dynamic keyword insertion in AdWords. (The hyperlinks above contain explanations of how these functions work, and step-by-step instructions on getting them set up.)

There’s probably a way to do it using some custom scripts, but this should get you started in the meantime!

Let me know if this is helpful 🙂

Hey Jess,

Thank you so much for the thorough explanation! I will get to work and set up Google’s Call Conversion right away.
I realize now that I had approached this problem the wrong way… Oh well!

Thanks again for your help!

Max

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Happy to help! Jump back in here if you hit any snags 👋

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hey!

You’ll likely need to add a piece of secondary code to make sure elements, like buttons, swap out correctly!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Ahhh, what would we do without you @Stefano?! 🙌

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

… hopefully nothing 🤣

Thanks @Stefano , appreciate it!

I’ll let you guys know how it goes 😅

Have you tried Geolify? https://geolify.com/change-website-phone-numbers-based-on-visitor-geolocation/