Facebook Like Button on Mobile not working

• 16 January 2020
  • 6 replies

Badge

I used the FB code generator to create the js and html for a Like button. It seems to work fine on desktop, but on mobile, I get prompted to log-into FB.

Of course, my iPhone is already logged in.

Any suggestions?

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi Ed, so the button is showing up on mobile, but it’s just asking the user to log into Facebook when they click it?

Are you sure the browser that you’re using to view the page on mobile is logged into Facebook? Try going to Facebook.com in that same browser to confirm. Because even if you’re logged into the Facebook app on your iPhone, you’ll also need to be logged into Facebook.com within the browser for that “log in” prompt to disappear. And it will be different for everyone based on the state of their browser and whether they’re logged into Facebook at the time or not.

Badge

Nicholas,

That makes sense.

If I open a new Safari tab on my iPhone and search on the term “facebook” and choose the first search result, I see my FB home page and I’m logged-in. But, that is deceptive because the first search result is actually the FB app.

If I enter facebook.com into my browser, I see a log-in screen. My browser is not logged-in.

I doubt many people on mobile are logged-in via their browser. It’s the app they use.

My client is adamant about wanting a Like button.

But, with the current operation, it not going to be of any benefit on mobile.

I wonder if there is anyway to modify the generation of the FB Like code so it interacts with the mobile app vs the browser log-in.

FYI: I recently discovered your podcast and have listened to several of them. Very thorough job of covering landing development from A - Z.

Ed

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Ah, good question, Ed. Wish I had a better answer. Usually I try hard to persuade clients not to include links to social media or like buttons on their landing pages, since it usually hurts conversions. But I understand that’s not always possible when a client insists on it.

And thanks for checking out the Landing Page School Podcast! Much appreciated!

Badge

“Hurts conversion” interesting.

All things being equal, a page with a Like button and a CTA will get less opt-ins?

I guess this falls into the category of only offering one action.

ed

I can confirm the same observation - social like/share buttons can cause lower conversion rates if your primary CTA is a form or phone call. It’s a distraction from the page’s main objective.

I second @Nicholas’ advice to leave out the FB Like button unless there is a larger strategy that involves boosting FB followers to activate them later on that platform. In that case, you might consider making the FB Like button the only CTA.

Badge

Makes sense.

In this case, the client is adamant about the importance of the FB Like button, and they do have a re-targeting strategy.

But, on mobile, I’m inclined to believe the “Like” is going to create a negative experience. I can only make my recommendations and move on to the next job . . .

Ed