Exit Popup / Exit Overlay

Are they called Exit Popups? We want to show a popup on exit if someone decides to head to the close icon.

This would really enable us with more leverage, adding promos, or an alternative call to action.

I have found a bad example, but you can see what I mean http://www.contractor-tax-solutions.c…

37 replies

I would like to know more about this as well.

In response to an article by Unbounce, I looked for plugins that could do this function, but all the available sources seemed built for Wordpress and had little demoing abilities before purchase.

Is there a tried and true Exit Converter for Unbounce?

All I want to do is, 30 seconds in or upon moving to the close/back button, there is a small popup with a phone number and a bit of text.

Thanks!

Hi Stuart!

I wanted to edit this post. Since I last chimed in, Google has updated their policies.

One thing that’s important to bring attention to is the difference between pop-ups and exit overlays.

Pop-ups open in a new browser window and impede navigation, while overlays populate within the existing window and don’t impede navigation.

Google  does allow  modal overlays that open within the same window the user was browsing.

If you’d like to use exit overlays to help increase your conversions, I’d recommend taking a gander at Unbounce’s friend, Rooster.

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Exit Popups?.

Hi looking to add a exit popup to one of my unbounce pages.

Does Unbounce have any scripts which can do this.

I’ve used this tool in the past - http://codecanyon.net/item/ninja-popu…

But its just for wordpress.

Any recommendations?

Regards,
Chris

Hi all, 
To extend a bit further on Lou’s points above, check out this article on the Unbounce Blog from Angus Lynch, the Director of Marketing at Rooster

From the article…

An exit overlay is like a second page view served only to abandoning users Ð try using it to amp up the urgency and entice visitors to make a last-second purchase or opt-in.Adding a third party tool to give you exit overlay functionality should be as easy as adding a simple line of code into your scripts.

Has anyone in this thread managed to implement and a/b test exit overlays? If so, what were the results like?

Bit bizarre of Rooster who are apparently designed by conversion rate optimizers that you have to enter a credit card for a 30 day free trial. Their basic plan costs as much as Unbounce and all you get is a pop up widow, and at that price theres no 3rd party intergration either til you go up to $139 per month ($1668 per year) and then thats only available on one domain. 

Holy moly, surely an opportunity for a real cool feature here Unbounce?

Hey Dez,
Thanks for the followup, and we appreciate your honest feedback.

We’ve partnered with Rooster partly because they share Unbounce’s commitment to publishing helpful content that helps marketers solve problems (the Rooster blog being a good example of this), and because they stress using exit overlays responsibly (a.k.a. setting up strict targeting rules and avoiding those insulting opt-out lines). 

It is true that Rooster requires credit card information in order to launch, however they do grant a full 30-day trial, just like Unbounce does. 

I absolutely agree this is an opportunity for Unbounce to add a cool new feature, and we’re hoping to learn more about exit-intent technology through this partnership.

Thanks again

Justin, I’d expect Exit Overlays to be a standard feature of Unbounce by now. Disappointing that its not included. There’s no way, I or my client could justify paying for Rooster, no matter how many additional leads it brings in.

Hey Dan! Understandable that adding more costs to your marketing plans can seem a bit discouraging right off the bat, thanks for the honest feedback. I would love to have a chat with you directly about what expectations you have in terms of value, what other needs you may have, and how we could potentially meet them. It would be really helpful to understand what you’re thinking much better! I’ll follow up via email 🙂

Tia, great to connect with you on the phone just now. I appreciated your great customer service and thoughtful questions. I’ve also updated my Unbounce contact details so you can reach me on a better email address now.  Thanks again 🙂

Always love talking on the phoneÑso much easier to clarify things. Thanks for taking the time to give us all this important feedback… we can only build better for our customers if we know what you want! Talk to you again soon.

Just installed a completely new app on my site which works pretty nice, https://visitlead.com. It is also capable of sending those exit popups (they call it exit intent) and if you are a bit skilled with html/css you can really create some cool things there.

And they still have a bunch of different features: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cwq5Xbz1ncU

Hi Sandra,

Are you on the free trial or the paid plan? I watched the video. It seems there are alot of features to that service! Its out of my businesses price range.  

I worked with Joel from Unbounce to get a free Exit Intent Popup working. It was a bit tricky figuring it out, but we got there in the end. Let me know if you want the code and I will post the code and instructions.

Hi Dan,

I would love to try out the code and take a look at your instructions.  How is it working for you have you seen positive results?

Thanks
Lenny

Hi Lenny,

I’ve figured out how to make it work, with serious help form Joel McDonald at Unbounce. I’m going to implement it on the next revision of a landing page I am currently working on for a client. I think it will be positive though. Here’s the instructions, assuming I get the messaging right on the Exit Overlay! 

1. Add this Java Script to your landing page, provided by Beeker.
" rel="nofollow" target="\_blank" title="Link http//beekerio/lab/exit-intent-popup/bioepminjs/script"\>http://beeker.io/lab/exit-intent-popup/bioep.min.js"\>;

Where it reads '
2. I made my Exit Overlay page as a new page in Unbounce and then adjusted the width and height properties in the code above to match my Exit Intent page dimensions in Unbounce. I then added the URL to the code above. The Exit Overlay will then be displayed on your landing page, when you move the cursor off the top of the landing page, after 5 seconds. It will now pull in the new Exit Overlay page your created in Unbounce, which makes super easy to customise! 

1. Create a second new page in Unbounce called ‘Exit Overlay Redirect’. When the form submits on the Exit Overlay, you need to tell the form to send the visitor to the ‘Exit Overlay Redirect’ page. Otherwise, when the form submits, it will open the next URL inside the Exit Overlay, rather than the Parent window. The only way around this is to tell the Exit Overlay form, to submit to a new page, which contains a redirect script to the parent window and the thankyou/success URL. This will cause the Exit Overlay Thankyou to open in the parent window. Place the following Java Script on the ‘Exit Overlay Redirect’.

After a bit of customisation, you should have a working Exit Overlay!

Props go out to Joel McDonald at Unbounce who found the original code here…

http://beeker.io/exit-intent-popup-script-tutorial

Joel then provided a final workaround to get the Exit Overlay to redirect to the parent window, when the Thankyou needed to be displayed.

Note - if you want specifics on the Beeker JS, checkout the link above if you want to make any modifications, the code is well documented on that page. 

Hope that helps, go for it! 

Dan

Hi Dan,

Thanks so much for the detailed info.  Much appreciated.

Thanks
Lenny

Thank you, Dan and Joel!!!  Can’t wait to implement this. 

Much appreciated,

Joe

Hey Dan, 
I’m glad you and Joel were able to piece this together! I’m just wondering if you’ve manage to implement this in an A/B test yet, and if so, what your test results have been so far. I’d love to hear if this has helped to boost your conversion rates at all. Let me know!

Hey Joe! 
I’d be curious to see how this affects your conversion rates. Run this as an A/B test and watch your conversion rates like a hawk, then report back on your findings. Looking forward to hearing back! 

Hey Justin,

It is on my “Unbounce Testing Chop Block” List! 🙂

Cheers,

Joe

Hi All,
I’ve tried leadmonster with unbounce to implement exit popups and it works really well!

Happy to hear that, Mohammed! Do you have any stats to show what this did for your conversion rates? 

The exit popup helped me to capture visitors who were bouncing. You can take a look at our landing page & exit popup here: http://easyhome.vakilhousing.com/vakil-marigold/ . 

Hi Mohammed,

Enjoyed your landing page and can see how the exit popup can only help save destined bouncers.  In addition, I really enjoyed the countdown timer you are utilizing.  Love the implied urgency!  Any chance you could help a fellow unbouncer out with how to get that countdown timer?  Well done 🙂

Warmest regards,

Joe

Sure! 🙂 It’s a plugin I got from: http://outtatimr.com/ 

Thanks for sharing the knowledge, Mohammed!  🙂 do you recommend the plugin having used it for a while?