Exit intent lightbox, how'd ya do it?

I noticed on this page (I entered the contest) http://digitalagencyday.com/tweet-to-win that when I went to close the link a light box pop-up appeared. It had a form in it asking me if I wanted to get all of the recordings from digital agency day.

These are commonly referred to as “exit intent” popups. I know other threads have gone around asking about these, and what I remember is that it couldn’t really be done. Well, now it seems like it can be done, and done well.

So, Unbounce, how did you do it?

11 replies

Hey Joe!

Unbounce uses a service called Get Rooster - which they acquired last year.  They are exit overlays that appear when the user shows intent to exit.

Cheers,
Joe

And there it is… they even built the Get Rooster on an unbounce landing page. 

Thanks Joe!

Sure thing!  Rumor is that they have 30 day trial 🙂

GetRooster

I can confirm that rumor…

Hi Joe! Once you take a look around in Rooster let me know if you have any questions 🙂 You can email me: tia@unbounce.com

I use a script called ouibounce. You need a bit of HTML/CSS knowledge to set up the modal as well as a small bit of JS knowledge to get it working. You basically put the HTML code into a Custom HTML block and add whatever CSS you need. The issues I’ve had is that I can’t put an unbounce form into the HTML block, so you need to figure out how to get another form in there if you want to collect emails or whatever.
The downside with the code as written is that it won’t fire on mobile at all, but I modified the firing script to detect mobile browsers and fire after a certain number of seconds. 
Here’s an example of that script

I use a script called ouibounce. You need a bit of HTML/CSS knowledge to set up the modal as well as a small bit of JS knowledge to get it working. You basically put the HTML code into a Custom HTML block and add whatever CSS you need. The issues I’ve had is that I can’t put an unbounce form into the HTML block, so you need to figure out how to get another form in there if you want to collect emails or whatever.
The downside with the code as written is that it won’t fire on mobile at all, but I modified the firing script to detect mobile browsers and fire after a certain number of seconds. 
Here’s an example of that script

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Awesome! Thanks for sharing this. Is it stable across browsers?

I have no idea if it works with IE (I sort of doubt that it does), but I’ve tested it on Firefox, Chrome & Mobile Safari. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Cool thanks Noah!