1. Do you use Dynamic Text Replacement?
  • Yep
  • Nope

0 voters

If you answered “yep”:

1. How do you use it?

If you answered “nope”:

1. Any reason why?

I want to get a bit of a gauge from the community here to see if there’s room for some discussion around DTR and how it’s being used in the wild.

Some clarity for folks who are unfamiliar with DTR (or didn’t know they could use it in Unbounce!) 👉 Dynamic Text Replacement lets you alter the text on your landing page based on external variables you can attach to the URL.

Fellow Unbouncer @Maggie_Crowley does a much better job at explaining how DTR is used to boost your campaigns in Unbounce in this short video:

Would love to hear your comments! If you have 'em, hit reply 👋

icon

Best answer by brandonh 7 August 2019, 04:11

View original

12 replies

I will preach DTR to the high heavens always and forever. I don’t know what we’d do without it. 🙌

Combined with using SKAGs, it is an incredibly powerful tool. It essentially allows you to speak to every individual aspect of your business on the same landing page. Are you a website designer in Pflugerville, Texas? Are you also a business consultant in Manhattan? Pop in a few URL params and you can completely customize your visitor’s experience without having to create a million pages. For a company that services literally thousands of cities and hundreds of different subjects, that’s undeniably essential for us.

One thing we want to try in one of our next variations is using it to switch out some of the visible assets. For example, we target elementary school students and college students. Right now we just have one background image for all of that, but it would be awesome if we could use DTR so that people coming from one of our elementary ad groups sees a picture of elementary-aged kids, and someone coming from one of our college ad groups sees a picture of college-aged students.

I know I’ve seen a Tips & Scripts about doing just that, so it’s just a matter of implementing it. 😉

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

DTR has been a real game changer for us in increasing our quality score + decreasing our CPC, ultimately bringing our customers a lower cost-per-lead or cost-per-acquisition 😃

A particular service can have several search term variations making it difficult to message match without DTR. For example: Dental Clinic vs. Dental Centre vs. Dentist in New York - three different search terms, all with similar intent.

Using DTR, our hero headline can now be relevant at the keyword & ad level helping us achieve a high quality score & more conversions!

I echo Stefano and Leah… when done right DTR is pretty amazing. However, the caveat is when done right… it can break bad. I do NOT use it with broad match keyword ad groups anymore. What Leah is describing SKAGS are Single Keyword Ad Groups. If you are not familiar with the practice there are tons of articles. I also recommend googling alpha beta campaign structure

Download the pdf by 3q digital. It explains everything so much better than I could. However, if you still have questions please post them here.

I had a campaign recently that used DTR and dynamic image replacement. The quality scores were through the roof compared to the previous campaign structure. We were able to bring the CPC’s down by around $.75-$1.25 in some cases saving a lot of budget and getting more clicks.

Last caveat… if you are passing PII (personally identifiable information) i.e. someones name to the thank you page copy you MUST, let me say this again… YOU MUST exclude those query parameters in Google Analytics. Failure to do so can get you removed from the platform. There are lots of articles about this but if you have specific questions post them below.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

@Taylor_Bellemare and @Jennifer_wp, any chance you’re able to expand a bit on what kind of set up you have in the meantime? Or why you haven’t been swayed by Zapier yet?

I guess there isn’t a big reason why we aren’t using it. We are fairly new at applying page testing for our clients and are seeing results, since it can be tempermental and applying too much at once could be a game changer negatively. I do look forward to opportunities to applying DTR.

Here I am again - visiting dynamic text! We’d like to include it in one of our page tests, I’m just not sure where to start. I was trying to access the documentation link and it says I am not authorized to view it. Is there a tutorial anywhere that I could walk through?

Question. Is there a way to only show Dynamic Text to first time visitors?

Userlevel 1

Is there a tutorial / dummies guide to DTR anywhere?

Here you go, man - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HifHqCgcJ-Q

Userlevel 1

Amazing, thank you! I’ll see if I can figure this out 🧐

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

WOAH!! @brandonh that youtube video is 🔥 !! Thank you for passing that along here, I’m going to try to track him down and thank him for that!

-Jess

It’s the best video I’ve seen on the topic 🙂