Design question: if simple landing pages convert more, why does Unbounce have 7 menu bar items in addition to its CTA?

• 14 December 2013
  • 4 replies
  • 1 view

Hi -

I love Unbounce and think it’s a great service.

I have a general design question about landing pages: if data show that simple landing pages with just 1 CTA convert more, then why does Unbounce.com have a homepage with 7 menu items in addition to the primary CTA?

Don’t get me wrong, I bet that Unbounce has thoroughly tested its homepage and knows exactly what it’s doing and is doing it right. So I’m not doubting 😉

That’s why I’m asking why on a homepage it helps to have more places for people to click than just 1 or 2 Calls To Action.

Is it that a homepage has to welcome all customer segments so you need something for everyone?

So you expect a lower conversion through the homepage than through targeted landing pages?

If so is there any data on what works for high converting home pages (how many links, how many images, long-form, short-form) as opposed to Landing Pages?

Just asking so I (and others) can learn.

4 replies

Hi, Scott.

The home page is not a landing page. It’s not specifically designed to convert - it’s designed to inform. The landing pages of the service look pretty much like the templates they offer.

Thanks Fernando, good answer.

Great answer @Fernando, you hit the nail on the head!

@Scott, and for our other community users, I’d thought I would chime in and say that Unbounce absolutely drinks its own champagne. We’re a user of our product. For every campaign we run we build a landing page and run at least one big A/B test a week.

You can learn more about how we knock our conversion rates out of the park in this great blog post we wrote: [Behind the Scenes] Unbounce’s Content Marketing Secrets Revealed

Great answer @Fernando, you hit the nail on the head!

@Scott, and for our other community users, I thought I would chime in and say that Unbounce absolutely drinks its own champagne. We’re a user of our product. For every campaign we run we build a landing page and run at least one big A/B test a week.

You can learn more about how we knock our conversion rates out of the park in this great blog post we wrote: [Behind the Scenes] Unbounce’s Content Marketing Secrets Revealed