Solved

Data Validation For Field - Restrict to numbers only

Hi everyone,

I am using unbounce to collect leads for car finance. Once the form is submitted, the lead is transferred into my CRM (custom CRM).

The issue I’m having is, when the prospect enters any kind of symbol ($,.-) etc, my CRM will not accept the lead.

Is there a way that I can restrict this form field to only accept numbers?

Thanks in advance,

Brad

icon

Best answer by Oliver_Lord 2 June 2022, 15:01

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hi @Brad_East!

You can add this little script and insert that field’s ID:

<script>
(function () {
  document.getElementById('FIELD_ID').type = 'number';
})();
</script>

I would also give the users a hint telling them to only enter numbers, either as the field’s placeholder or in the field label.

👋

Hi, I’ve followed your instruction but it still allows symbols to be added. Attached is a screenshot, have I done it correctly?

Hey Brad,
The script is implemented correctly, however the reason you can still enter non-numerical characters is because setting the field type to “number” only checks if the field is valid when you submit the form!
I wrote an alternative script which checks the user’s input instead. This should allow a single decimal and any size number:

<script>
    let formNumVal = '';
    let formNumField = document.getElementById('your_field_id');
    function filterNumberInput() {
        let regexp = /^\d*[.]?\d*$/gm;
        regexp.test(formNumField.value ? formNumVal = formNumField.value : formNumField.value = formNumVal;
    };
    document.getElementById('your_field_id').addEventListener("input", filterNumberInput);
</script>

Thanks but still didn’t work

Still able to enter symbols and the data doesn’t go through to the CRM

I just realized in my rush I forgot a bracket.
Replace the second line inside the function with this:

regexp.test(formNumField.value) ? formNumVal = formNumField.value : formNumField.value = formNumVal;

Hi, did someone figure this out? The code in this thread is not working for me.

Please help!

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi @blancataurel . Thanks for your request.

I’ve used some of the scripts from this thread and played around a bit with the code to get it to allow numbers only.

1. Please add the following script to the Javascript section at the bottom of your page:
<script>
window.ub.form.validationRules.field_id.digitsonly = true;
</script>
  1. Replace ‘field_id’ with the field ID of your form
  2. Now add this script to your Javascript section at the bottom of your page:
<script>
window.ub.form.customValidators.digitsonly = {
isValid: function(value) {
return /^[0-9]+$/.test(value);
},

};
</script>
  1. You can change the message to something more relevant to your form if you like.
  2. Save and republish, and you should be good to go.

I’ve made this short video for you so you can see it working - feel free to reach out if you have any further questions.

Cheers,

Olly

THANK YOU!!!!!!!! @Oliver_Lord 

It worked perfectly, finally!! haha

Userlevel 4
Badge

THANK YOU!!!!!!!! @Oliver_Lord 

It worked perfectly, finally!! haha

My pleasure @blancataurel . Happy to have solved your issue 😀.

Badge

Hi 

Thank you for your very helpful messages! 

However, I have an issue with the given scripts. On my desktop version, I do have an automatic message that appears when the person enters in a field intended for numbers, a letter, like "please type a number only", but this message does not appear on mobile. This is problematic because people may not understand why the form isn't being sent... Do you have a solution? 

Many thanks

Perrine

Userlevel 3
Badge

I sent you a PM @Perrine! 👋 😃