Customize variation names in GA

• 3 December 2015
  • 5 replies

If you implement google analytics through the Unbounce script manager, each variation automatically gets passed through to analytics. This is great, but it would be so much better if, instead of the variation being defined by the variation’s letter (such as a/b/c), it could be identified by the name that you give the variation.

Here’s an example of why I think this would be so useful. 

I have a bunch of very similar pages that I created for a client. You can see two of them here and here. I have a lot more of these pages, and the only difference between them is the location, and corresponding background image.

Each of these pages has two variations, and I’d like to get statistics for how each of these variations is performing globally, across all pages. I can technically do this in Google Analytics _ but only _ if I keep an absolute consistency where the first variation is variation A, the second one is variation B, etc. And let’s face it, it can get really hard to do that when you’re managing a lot of pages. And if you mess this up even once, it’s impossible to fix!

So it would just be way better if the name that you give to the variations (which are always editable) could be passed through to google analytics. 

That’s my 2 cents. Hope you like it!

5 replies

Hi Jonathan,

That is an excellent idea. I’m not sure that we can tackle it right away, but I will bring it into our next product development meeting as an improvement we can add to our backlog.  

Thanks!

I mentioned something quite sometime ago about the background image, and whole blocks of texts to be put in variables so we can DTR it. 

This way no need to create multiple variations or new pages just because of a new background image or those other elements. 

Can’t seem to find that post due to the new documentation 😦

yup. that’s a really good idea too

cancalled

Hmmm, I’m not able to find this either, Mark. Was this a new thread? Or a comment on an old thread? Would be happy to track it down for you!