Custom templates reusable across multiple pages (edit main template area/content and all pages using that template are updated)

It would be fantastic and much faster, especially for doing variations on the same basic page structure, to have a templating system where you could define areas and/or content that would stay consistent across multiple pages, and areas that could be changed on a page-to-page basis.

Example:

1. I create a template with defined areas of permanence: the layout of certain elements, position of the logo, header text content and position, etc.

2. I define areas that can be edited in different capacities (maybe the location and size stay permanent across pages, but the inner content could be changed).

3. I apply this template to multiple pages, changing content within the areas defined to change, etc. I’m not able to individually edit the areas I’ve defined as permanent (unless maybe I choose to create an entirely new template from this alternate, but that could be added later).

4. I want to edit the header text, so I go into the main template, edit that text, and it updates across all pages using that template. Easy peasy.

Is this available already? Is there something I’m overlooking that would make it immensely difficult to implement? Who’s with me?

Shared Sections/Blocks
Copy and paste between templates

Hey, interesting ideas. I can see why you’d want it. But it sounds like it would be an extensive addition to the feature set, and possibly a can of worms they might not want to get into. Turning a landing page product into a CMS product could suddenly see a demand for features that will take in a whole new
direction.
But let’s see what official response comes back!
Meanwhile, the closest I can see you getting to this - is to create a core layout of the main areas that wouldn’t change - exporting it, or saving it marked as core template. Then either import or duplicate the original for each new page. Of course, it doesn’t allow future changes to those core areas to be dynamically applied across pages.
thanks
Simon

Great points, Simon! 

I definitely hear you Simon! It wouldn’t be easy to implement. But then again, this is the place for ideas, however far-fetched, right? And nothing great ever came easy :slight_smile:

Saving a page design for future use is a great feature, but, from a user experience standpoint, a basic one. Unfortunately the crux of this particular feature idea is to be able to edit a main template which would update all pages using that template. I’d say that would hardly be turning Unbounce into a CMS (there’d be no custom post types, extensibility, etc). In fact, I’d imagine this feature, in the end, allowing the user to save less individual page designs/templates, and instead reusing the same template design with those editable areas.

Another good example for those who may be reading through: a company updates their logo design and in turn has to update however many hundreds(thousands?) of landing pages they had created on Unbounce. I wouldn’t expect this to automatically apply to pages retroactively, but allowing users to apply a template to an existing page and define the editable areas would be a huge help and attraction for future users.

Just tossing in my humble two cents to better the product. I’m not hurt or offended if few or no one likes or agrees :slight_smile: I appreciate the discussion!

Hi Dave,

First off, just wanted to say thanks for submitting this feature request. Internally, we have dubbed this feature ‘shared assets’, as it essentially would allow you to build an asset (such as a group of images, or a page section) and call that in on numerous different pages. If you were to make a change to the original asset, the changes would reflect across all pages this was used on.

I had a long chat with Paul from our product team about this functionality, and where it is on our radar. While we don’t have an exact date for this feature, we’re hoping to tackle this later this year, if all of our scheduled features are released without issue.

While we don’t really have a way to do this in app right now, I was able to craft a little workaround that should work for what you’re looking to do now.

Take a look at this published page:
http://unbouncepages.com/shared-assets-demo-page-section/

You’ll notice this is only a single page section and nothing more. This would serve as my ‘master’ template, which I’ll then call in on this page, and this page. If I publish any changes to my ‘master’ page section, they will update across all pages that it’s published on. 

Basically, I’m just creating my ‘master’ page section separately, then placing it on my other two pages by using a bit of custom code in an iframe. By doing it this way, you can create different pieces of content, or entire page sections, and call them in across hundreds of different pages.  Then, if you want to make changes to that asset, then you only need to do it once and it will reflect across all pages it’s published to. This could be especially useful for building things such as footers, or nav bars (which by the way are really not recommended on landing pages).

If this is something you’d be interested in trying, let me know and I’ll whip up a little tutorial and give you the best iframe code to use.

Cheers,

Hey Justin,

That’s it! That’s essentially exactly what I was describing. I’d love to see a tutorial for the best way to implement something like this.

Thanks so much!
Dave

Perfect! I’ll whip something up and post it within the next couple of days. :) 

Hey Justin,

is there any update on this topic?

Thanks

You might want to head over to the discussion on Unbounce integrating with Wordpress.  Sounds like this might overlap and meet your needs.

They just opened up for applicants to get early access by emailing:

wpbeta@unbounce.com

Best of luck,

Joe

Justin,

Is the iframe code something you could post on here? I’m also interested in implementing this solution.

Thanks!

Hey all,

Just wanted to give an update here. I’ve decided not to share this workaround since there are two problems with it that I didn’t think of when I first recommended it.

1. The biggest glaring issue is that if you’re doing this, every unique visit would essentially count as 2 unique visits (or even more, depending on how many sections you’re iframing in). This is because unique visitors are counted on a per-page basis in Unbounce, and since the user is technically visiting two pages, you could go over your traffic limit really quickly.

2. The content within the iframe wouldn’t be visible to things like SEO or Adwords. That block would just look blank, so any content in that block wouldn’t be seen. This wouldn’t help your Quality Score (QS) and could actually end up hurting it.

If you insist on trying this out yourself, just make a blank page section on any page that has the same colour of your shared content page, and add an iframe using this code below:

<iframe id='sharedSectionFrame' src="http://unbouncepages.com/shared-assets-demo-page-section/" name="Frame" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" align="center" height = "430px" width = "940px">
</iframe>

It’s pretty easy to do, but in all honesty, I wouldn’t recommend it. Instead, I would chime in on this thread and vote for this idea. The more steam something like this gets, the more likely it is to make it on to our roadmap.

I would also like to vote for this added feature. In Thrive Content Builder (runs in WordPress) they provide a means to save content in the form of a template. Then each content template can easily be added to a page. As long as you are on the same domain there are no issues. In my case I would use a content template for the following areas:

• In the footer, for our privacy policy (a URL opening in a lighbox showing the Iubenda provided policy.

• In the footer, our social sharing icons

• In the header, our branding headline

• Specific content for product sales and incentives. When there are no sales happening I would just go in and change the content in one place, not on 20 pages. Yes, I could use an iFrame and host content from somewhere else from the WordPress domain.

Thanks and keep up the good work.

Jim

I needed to add a common section to the footer of all of our many pages titled “About Us.” The footer is where we have a lot of common content among our pages. Right now the other common section we have their is our privacy policy. That repeating content was easily provided by loading IuBenda in a lightbox. Now I face the same issue with the About Us section. Here is what I am thinking:
-Create a blank page assigned to the default Unbounce pages domain. Create content there to be used as repeating content for the About Us section. Style it and size it correctly to match a light box link created on all the repeating Unbounce pages. This way I don’t have cross domain loading issues from my main company domain (because I could have just created a blank page there with the same content but that makes a duplicate there which is bad for SEO, most of my Unbounce pages are not allowed to be indexed).
-Be sure that the new About Us content page is mobile friendly.
-Then to use on the other pages just copy the lightbox button with its URL to the About Us content page.
-If you want you can use a unique URL string to call up the page and on the content page code it using dynamic keyword insertion.
-There is an issue with this approach when using SSL on landing pages as there is a mixed content issue created since the base Unbounce domain isn’t delivered via SSL. This causes a blank modal window for About Us when I view the landing page via SSL. To solve that issue I just moved the About Us content page to one of my many personal domains which do provide SSL. Then when I coded the URL for the lightbox button I used the appropriate SSL URL string and DKI parameters.
-I did all this one this page and it works fine: https://www.abbyy-flexicapture.com/

Using an iFrame isn’t great because of the mobile viewport issues at least in my humble opinion.

Thanks for reporting back on this testing, @Jim_Hill! This is still an idea we have internally to add to the builder, so I’ll go ahead and put a vote on this on our internal tracking system for you. :slight_smile:

I would also like to vote for this idea. Across all my 30+ landing pages, there is a boilerplate about my client’s product. I’m adding a video to this boilerplate section, and it would’ve been helpful if I could edit it once and it apply to all pages, rather than me manually adding the video to each page.

Adding in another vote here for this feature!

We use Unbounce to create landing pages for each of our various partners. Every time we want to change an asset, our colors, or add a global section (like User Testimonials) we have to make edits to all of our historic Unbounce landing pages.

Some kind of “master template” that you can apply to a group of pages would be KILLER!

Thanks for the valuable feedback @chris_ddg! I’ll make sure my team hears it. :slight_smile:

Yeah, I know a few of the WordPress page builders like Divi and Elementor do this well. They call them “global sections.” And no matter where you edit them, the same changes carry over everywhere else that global section exists. This would be so helpful to have.

How does this only have 2 votes?! The lack of this feature is unfortunately why leadership at my company chose not to pursue Unbounce. I love your landing page builder and UI, but I hope you consider master templates as we run dozens of simultaneous campaigns and need to be able to make changes that propagate across all pages created from a master template. Otherwise editing and iterating becomes a real chore. Marketo has this ability, though their user experience is dreadful and their landing page builder far less sexy.

Even if it’s not reflected in the votes on this thread, it’s a very popular request from what I understand. But Unbounce is not alone here, as I don’t know of any other dedicated landing page builder (outside of some WordPress page builders and the all-in-one tools like Marketo) that has this feature.

I am with you though, as it would save a lot of time for some of the campaigns we work on. But in the mean time, we’ve gotten pretty fast at copying and pasting sections across pages after making changes to one. :slight_smile: