Custom Domain Help

• 20 August 2014
  • 2 replies

Why would I use a custom domain and pay $5 extra instead of using my primarydomain/unbounce/landingpage name? Can someone help me understand please?

2 replies

Hi Sally,

Allow me to clear this up for you!

When we refer to a ‘custom domain’, we’re referring to anything other than ‘unbouncepages.com’. All paid plans come with one custom domain for free, and the $5 are for any extra domains you’d like to use.

When you’re setting up your domains, you can either use a root domain (ex. www.sallywhite.com) or a sub-domain (demo.sallywhite.com). If you already have a website on www.sallywhite.com, and you want to keep that website, then you’ll need to go with the latter option, a sub-domain.

The subdomain can be essentially anything you’d like to to be, and it’s created by making a CNAME record on your domains DNS. This CNAME record essentially tells the web that anything that starts with demo.sallywhite.com can be found on the Unbounce servers, but www.sallywhite.com can still be found at my usual website. As mentioned above, this first domain is free - and anything after that is an additional $5/month.

Hopefully that clears things up, but if you need any further clarification I’d be happy to help. 🙂

I think it is crazy to charge $10 to set up a ‘new client’ then ANOTHER $5 for a custom domain. You guys are going are going for the jugular a bit too fast in the relationship. But I am probably still going to use you.