Convertables? Pop-ups? Overlays? Sticky Bars?

overlays
convertables
stickybars

I wanted to start a bit of a discussion in here surrounding Convertables (the lightbox that appears over your website or landing page). Here’s an example :point_down::point_down:

01 AM

It feels like saying the word “popup” is like mentioning Voldemort’s name. There’s a real stigma around popups being too aggressive or spammy. But since we launched Convertables last year, I’m growing to learn that some of the best marketers I’ve ever encountered LOVE them.

So I’m wondering if anyone here has a moment to share some of their experiences with Convertables. Have you used them? Did you know they existed in Unbounce? How do you pitch Convertables to your clients without using that cringeworthy word “popup”?

And if you’re in the camp that is anti-popup, are you more inclined to use Sticky Bars? (If you haven’t seen our Sticky Bar post, check it out here)

I’m under the impression that there’s still an opportunity to “convert” some folks who haven’t tried Convertables yet for fear that it’s too invasive. Discuss!

@leah.ann, @Alex_Scovell, @Zoe_Tattersall and of course the rest of the fabled @Unbounce-Experts, would love to hear your input if you’ve got a moment!

What a great question, @Jess!

Personally, before convertibles, I used to just call them “overlays.” I am not a fan of the word “popup” either, because I think it brings up memories of the old AOL-style popups that you literally had to close before you were allowed to exit a page. Remember those?

As for pitching them to clients, in most cases, we’ve found it easier to pitch the concept of convertables/overlays than to pitch landing pages, believe it or not. The reason being is that it is much easier to get a convertable up and running, and also, they work everywhere, including clients’ current sites. So there’s no need to first sell them on a new landing page platform (Unbounce) and also on a new project (a landing page).

Convertables are a fantastic way to start a conversation around conversion optimization too, because most people are familiar with the concept of an overlay/popup/whatever, even if they don’t know it by name.

Looking forward to hearing some other thoughts on this topic!

Convertables: What You Don't Know

I have only used them a few times – specifically for our free Smoothie ebook lead gen, and simply to subscribe to our blog.

Our Smoothie ebook landing page converts as 37.98%, and the Convertable at 11.67% – so lower conversion as would be expected, BUT that’s 11.67% that would not have converted otherwise, (it shows when someone goes to exit the page) so WIN as far as I’m concerned!

Agree with @Nicholas about the old style pop-ups, but I think a Convertable used to offer value is totally different.

We use them on nearly all of our offers - ‘nearly’ only because we haven’t had time to find the right message for that offer yet.

Done right they can always provide an uplift in my experience (sometimes it can take a bit of testing to get the right copy / message).

One common mistake is to look only at conversions which come from the convertible as the measure of success - I.e we had 10 conversions from convertible therefore we wouldn’t have had them otherwise therefore convertible is working.

‘Therefore we wouldn’t have had them otherwise’ is the issue with the above statement.

You need to take one landing page with convertible and same without - does with convertible give an uplift or not?

this avoids the assumption that if an exit intent convertible was definitely fired the person was definitely leaving. As a wild mouse waggler myself I know this is not the case!

That’s a good point Alex! :slight_smile:

I don’t think I was very clear – what I meant is I have a landing page for our free ebook.

The free ebook overlay appears across a number of other pages (not offering the ebook), where the user would never have been exposed to the free ebook. So I see those as conversions that wouldn’t have happened otherwise.

Hi @Zoe_Tattersall :grinning:

Sorry that wasn’t aimed at your comment :neutral_face: -

Looking at your post now i used nearly the same wording, and straight after your post - it looks very much like it was commenting on your post.

Apologies - i have noted to read the enture thread before posting in future :flushed:

Alex

Thanks ok, no offense taken! It’s a very valid point :slight_smile:

We haven’t tried them out yet, but I really really want to. :slight_smile: Our hang up so far hasn’t been so much that we’re weary of it being too invasive. Rather, this just happens to be our busiest time of year and our lead intake is kind of insane right now. We’re not even able to get through all of the leads that we already have (not a terrible problem to have, haha), so we’re not not at a point where we’re ready to make even more optimizations to our landing page. This is probably going to be one of the first things we do once we’re through Fall though.

As for the terminology I use when talking about them, I tend to refer to them based on how they interact with the page. For example, I’d call the full-page convertable an “overlay” or a “fade-in”. I’d call a one that comes in from one end of the screen “slide-in” or “fly-in”. I’d call a sticky bar a sticky bar. Ultimately though, we inevitably end up just calling the umbrella term popups, haha.

I would think the sticky bars are a great way to appeal to those who are weary of using the full overlay. Have you guys thought about adding other types of “less invasive” convertables as well, such as the aforementioned fly-ins?

This is a huge point we’re trying to get across right now that I don’t think a lot of customers are aware of! I’m glad you brought that up @Nicholas!

DEFINTELY a win! 11.67% conversion rate is not bad at all! Have you seen (or heard about) the Conversion Benchmark Report that we released earlier this year? It breaks down what a ‘good’ conversion rate based on what industry you’re working in. If you’ve not seen it yet I highly recommend taking a look:
https://unbounce.com/conversion-rate-optimization/unbounce-conversion-benchmark-report/

We also have a beautiful printed copy if you’d like one for your desk, let me know! :wink:

This is exactly why the term “Always Be Testing” was created. I think we should get it printed on mugs.

I don’t think I’ve ever heard someone say something along the lines of “our conversions are so good, we don’t have the need to experiment” :joy: That is an interesting position to be in, kind of like running a Black Friday campaign all year long.

It sounds like you’ve been using OptinMonster, they have a really impressive variety of triggers for their overlays.

It’s definitely something we’ve had conversations about, but I think there are a couple of bigger ticket items that we want to tackle before we start making Sticky Bars flashy (though I’ve heard the conversion rates go way up from very subtle animations). @Nicholas and @Finge can probably speak to that better than I can.

I don’t think I’ve ever heard someone say something along the lines of “our conversions are so good, we don’t have the need to experiment” :joy: That is an interesting position to be in, kind of like running a Black Friday campaign all year long.

It’s very bittersweet! On one hand, our landing pages have conversion rates that are upwards of 45%, which is just awesome (this is why I preach DTR). On the other hand, we’re leaving a lot of potential sales on the table by letting our leads go stale. We’re working on the AdWords end of things right now to try to get our volume under control. I’d much prefer to focus on continuing to increase our conversion rate, it hurts my heart to say that we need to hold off on conversion optimizing.

It sounds like you’ve been using OptinMonster

Haha! I’ve definitely drawn a lot of inspiration from them. :wink:

It’s definitely something we’ve had conversations about, but I think there are a couple of bigger ticket items that we want to tackle before we start making Sticky Bars flashy (though I’ve heard the conversion rates go way up from very subtle animations).

Totally understandable. There’s also a fine line with animations between classy and tacky, so I could see that presenting a whole new set of issues. :joy:

Just to clarify though, I moreso meant adding a few more options for different positions (corner stickies, floating bottom/top sticky instead of snapped to the edge of the page, etc.). Ultimately, it’s all about finding a balance between something that is attention-grabbing and doesn’t invoke banner blindness, but also ensuring that it doesn’t obstruct the rest of the page experience. Would a small banner on the left side of the page achieve this better than a small banner on the right side of the page would? I’m sure something this is still not the highest priority feature to implement, but could potentially prove to be an interesting test nonetheless!

Would a small banner on the left side of the page achieve this better than a small banner on the right side of the page would? I’m sure something this is still not the highest priority feature to implement, but could potentially prove to be an interesting test nonetheless!

@leah.ann I did this with a blog for a company I previously worked for. It just slid in from one side of the page as you scrolled down i.e. engaged with the content a bit – I can’t remember the %, but it did increase the conversions over just the sidebar blog subscription AND it wasn’t too offensive/in-your-face for a B2B blog (the CEO detested pop-ups. He was from the dot-com era and would have experienced the whole pop-up ad influx – which I think is really why “pop-up” is still a dirty word! :wink: )

We also have a beautiful printed copy if you’d like one for your desk, let me know! :wink:

@Jess downloaded it, but I’m a sucker for a nice book – can you ship to Australia? :slight_smile:

Absolutely! I’ll hook you up :+1:

@Zoe_Tattersall That’s awesome! We actually have something very similar on our landing pages right now (slides up from the bottom right corner after the visitor has scrolled 15%), but admittedly I haven’t done any kind of split test without it to see if it’s helping/hurting conversions at all (CEO wanted it from the get-go), so it’s reassuring to hear that you’ve had positive results from your experience!