Conversion Tracking Quandry

• 26 January 2016
  • 1 reply

Hi guys,

Am looking for a little help in terms of finding the right solution to our tracking of lead conversions via our landing pages and attributing the right marketing channel to each for a certain campaign.

Originally, I looked to create a different landing page for each channel, but I’m looking to trigger the same goal conversion in GA from each channel. Is this possible when you’ve got different URLs in UnBounce for each channel page?  I’m looking at tracking the Form Confirmation Dialog box as the point of conversion and have in the past used the regular expression format to trigger the goal.

The other option is to make use of one page and use UTM tags on URLs for each campaign in order to pass through the source / medium element as part of the form.  Conversions in Analytics would be recorded and attributed to each channel, the only issue I can see is if our Adwords account is using the auto tagging (i.e. gclid) how do I apportion conversions to that channel, or is this done automatically?

Added into this equation is that the data collected from the completed form is being fed into our CRM via WebHook. Part of the requirement for the lead data collection is that the acqusition channel is fed into the system populating the relevant field.  

I know this can be accomplished via Option 2 above using UTM tags (although the question remains about the auto tagging), and there would be a separate WebHook for each page to cover Option 1.

Does anyone have any thoughts on which route would be best and whether there’s a solution to my queries?

For reference the landing page is here: http://try.boox.co.uk/switching-to-boox/

Any help or input would be appreciated!!

1 reply

Hi Boox,

Autotagging can be set to allow manual UTM tagging to override the automatic tagging when it is applied to the URL’s if no utm parameters are provided the automatic tagging continues to function as normal. To give you an idea how we do it this is a simplified example…

In analytics make  sure the follow is set
Analytics - Property Settings -> Allow manual tagging (UTM values) to override auto-tagging (GCLID values) (Tick Box)

In your URL’s you need to add at least the following three parameters
URL’s must be tagged with utm_medium, utm_source and utm_campaign (other optional utm parameters exist per client but you MUST cover at least those three for it to work properly with Analytics)

We then tag the URL’s, the visitor clicks on the ad, goes to our landing page where we do the following:
Set a cookie to record the utm parameters for the initial visit
Set the form fields to the data of the utm parameters for inclusion in the CRM

If the visitor then goes somewhere else and clicks another link that comes back to us we do the following:
Check for an existing cookie, if it exists we add the additional utm parameters from this visit to it while still keeping the original ones, this helps us track our attribution models and see where our highest influencing content is.

I have written a custom set of scripts to do this work but it’s pretty straightforward to do. 

Conversion scripts are then included on the forms thank you page (or confirmation dialog whatever you  use) which then submit the lead to the CRM with all the  information relating to URL parameters to give us a “customer journey” and also the final URL that they converted from and in the case of Unbounce the page name, page ID and variant ID. In the case of Adwords or any  other PPC platform then we also send details of the Adgroup and some other bits and pieces that you may or may not need. 

By doing it this way we can also use the parameters to create dynamic content, including passing the advert headlines and description text to get a solid message match and higher quality scores and increase conversion rates, changing images or just making sure the search query is added to the page content.

I hope that answers your question a little, there are many ways to do this, we have chosen the manual route which although is a little more time consuming and means we need to be on the ball with the URL parameters and setup just gives us that much more flexibility and allows us to really drill down and get the information to make proper business decisions with real people in the metrics. 

Any questions feel free to drop me an email stuart@digitalenrich.com or post here.

Cheers

Stuart