Community Spotlight: Joe Savitch

Joe Savitch is head of marketing services at Altos, a digital marketing company based in Bedford, NH. Joe and his team spearhead all of the marketing initiatives for Altos’ clients. 

He joined the Unbounce community in 2015 to support a new targeted marketing initiative with Unbounce and quickly grew as a thought leader in the Community. Joe is also an Official Unbounce Expert and most active in the marketing and design portions of the forum, but will dabble in the tech sector from time to time.

Joe believes that modern digital marketing, not inbound marketing, is the future of well you guessed it, marketing. There will be no Òdigital marketingÓ all marketing efforts will be integrated into different strategies. A graduate of Fitchburg State University, Joe has worked in marketing for over 15 years in a variety of fields/capacities.

What areas of digital marketing do you specialize in?
Marketing is digital marketing, and vice versa. I have been around long enough to know that things are going to change, rapidly, and I believe that there really is no strong line in the sand between marketing and digital marketing anymore. 

My team executes on all of our client’s marketing strategies/channels. If it involves paid, organic, social, content, generation/distribution, email, video pr/outreach… you name it we have a hand in it. We take a very integrated approach, no channel lives on an island unto itself.

How did you first become interested in Online Digital Marketing?
I was self employed for many years. As a small business owner you wear many hats. I had a background in communications, but I had to learn web as web was growing. In order to keep the lights on I had to drive new business… and my passion for marketing was born.

What brand/company do you admire in the digital marketing space?
I am a big fan of Tiffany’s for a brick/mortar business. They have adhere to very tight brand guidelines. For a purely online business it has to be Tripadvisor. They have a true mastery of search, I keep a very close eye on what they are doing.

What is your basic go-to strategy for A/B testing?  
A.B.C. Always, Be, Conversion-testing (bad David Mamet reference sorry). I almost (key word almost) always start with the something simple like the CTA text or hero image. Following that I start to look at headlines, content placement on the page (should testimonials be at the bottom or the top etc.) page layout, etc. Almost any element of a page is worth a/b testing at some point in the lifecycle of a page.

Any predictions or trends you foresee dominating marketing in the next 5 years?
I think there is going to be a slight shift back to desktop. While we may live in a mobile world, and I preach mobile CRO to anyone who will listen, eventually people are going to think; Òthis can wait until I get home. Right now I want to focus on my kid’s school play.Ó People are always going to have needs in micro-moments (Google’s term), but more and more people are going to want a tech/life balance.

What are you reading / listening to these days?
Anything by Stan & Jan Bearenstien, Dr. Seus, P.D. Eastman or Sandra Boynton a.k.a. Kids books. I read for about 30-40 minutes a night to my 2 and 5 year old. Also, big fan of KIDS Bop 30-35 (just kidding, but I listen to it a lot).

What is one thing you can’t live without?
Those same kids.

Want to connect with an Unbounce Expert and talk shop?

Joe Savitch
Altos
Bedford, NH
joe@altosagency.com
https://altosagency.com
https://twitter.com/altos
https://www.linkedin.com/in/joesavitch

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Nice to meet you, Joe!

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hey Joe, 

It’s always interesting to learn more about fellow Unbouncers. 

As a father of 2 little angels, I can relate to the night time reading 🙂

Just a quick question: Any particular reason, you decided to go in-house rather than build out your own business. 

I’m asking because every now and again I get offers to work for a company full time but can’t really see myself going back. 

Best,
Hristian

Way to go, Joe!  Well deserved

It is because of those 3 little “angels” (yes I use the “” sarcastically) that I chose to come in from the cold. I was self-employed as a wedding photographer for 15 years. I loved working for myself… until those 60+ work weeks and chasing people for payment became, well old.

I like being able to leave work at 5 and not have to think about work (most days) until 9 the next morning. When I am home, I’m home in body and spirit. It is a VERY important balance for me.

Everyone does things differently, that is what makes the world a great place. If you are happy and can’t see yourself going back, don’t.