China Know-How

• 8 November 2018
  • 4 replies

Hoping there might be others like me out there, I want to start a topic about how we can facilitate Unbounce behind the great firewall of China, at least to help the people who are trying to search for information about how to use not Chinese landing page tools in China.

Reach: I’ve read previously that the service wasn’t accessible from China. I set up Unbounce on a domain registered in China (ICP pending). Although it’s somedays painfully slow, it’s still accessible.

Accessibility: Chinese characters are creating a bit of problem. On the landing pages, everything is totally fine, the pages and text look okay. But when you receive leads, .csv fails Chinese. The file you download will not be the file your visitors filled in. It looks like Chinese, but it’s nonsense Chinese characters. My way around this is, instead of downloading the leads file, I view leads from the page, copy the inputs to an excel manually. Same applies to Arabic, I remember this is a problem with .csv, not Unbounce.

Analytics: Although I managed to add the Baidu tracker to my Unbounce pages, Google Analytics works just fine. We have a separate website where I’m able to compare what both Analytics are collecting, and somehow Google collects exactly the same data with Baidu, nothing gets stuck because of the firewall.

Permission Marketing in China: excluding the SMS, you can just do anything. Practically no one cares. SMS is a problem where you might face fines and I found it fairly harder to buy SMS packages - companies are reluctant to sell as we can’t proof any permission (and we are a European company who is trying to do everything in the proper way. If you are running a smaller startup you probably can get “other” SMS services where you can use your Unbounce data to send messages.

Baidu SEO for Unbounce: This is something I haven’t started yet. Any input would be appreciated.

4 replies

Hi there! I saw this from November 2018. Is the landing page still functional today? Any issues that you’ve seen during the year you’ve been running it, aside from what you posted?

Thanks!!

Hi there. No the slow connection was unbearable to collect any reasonable amount of data honestly. We also didn’t have access to our domain panel (because doh China… an agency controlled it and papers went to Beijing, and a ton of other bullsh**) so we didn’t have a chance to redirect, host things here and there, etc. I cancelled it in the end. I also had personal challenges: I was explaining everything in English, to a person without any technical know how, then she was translating it to IT colleagues in Chinese, and then backwards. It was a nightmare! I created another solution via 1688. But if you have any specific questions re China, message me I’m happy to help if I can.

Thanks for the reply! Your experience seems to be the norm, as far as I can tell from my wandering on the search engines. By 1688, are you referring to the 1688.com site? or something else?

Thanks again! We’re contracted with a firm there who manages our site, but we have promotions on our DotCom that we want to mirror on our DotCN, but - the development cycles are drastically different. I was hoping to utilize unbounce, since I could draft those pages and hand them off to be translated. Since that won’t work - we probably have to bite the bullet and have the developers there replicate what we’re doing in unbounce.

Overall everything was slow for me because when something was not clear or when they didn’t understand something, no one ever said anything. I did a half an hour speech explaining my strategy, all the heads were nodding, and then our account manager said no one speaks English and that she will translate to them later.

I’d still suggest 1688.com then, there is a lot of websites that are preparing and selling store templates (that’s what your agency will most probably use too to be honest.) That will be faster. and the traffic is waaay higher + UX will be Chinese user friendly. Good luck 🙂