Can I block out my IP Address?

Hi Unbounce,

Is there any way to identify and block out my IP address so it doesn’t count as a page view when I go to my live landing page?

Thank you!

27 replies

Hi Theresa! We don’t currently have a way for you to do that, although that’s the sort of thing we’d like to add. Just to clarify, for billing purposes we use unique visitors, not visits. You can also use the “reset stats” feature to reset your page statistics. I know that’s not an ideal answer, but hopefully that helps a bit!

Hi Carl,
Yes, I’ve been resetting the stats in the beginning when I go to the page, but sometimes I need to test the links in adwords after making changes and I don’t want to reset the stats when I have a lot of visitor data.

Not a huge deal; I just thought I’d ask. If it can be added to the wishlist, that would be great.

Thank you!

p.s. that’s helpful to know that it’s unique visitors, not visits

Another thing that would help is to have visits from Adwords spider not count in the stats as well. I’ve found that as soon as I enter a destination url to an unbounce page in an ad in Adwords, I immediately get 1 visit on that page. I assume that’s Adwords test to make sure the destination page resolves without a 404. It’s not that I care about the extra visit, it’s just that it throws off the stats.

+1. It would be great if you can auto-detect the IP when I login to the dashboard and then not count that in the visitors or conversions (as I sometimes need to test that the conversion link works and I don’t trust the preview option for that).

A session cookie would also work – but please no long-term cookie for this as I clear them on exit anyway. Of course the IP option does sound very good.

Yeah, we would definitely provide an option to auto-detect the IP address, it’s a little silly that some tools don’t do this and make you figure it out so you can manually enter it. We’ll have to provide a nice on/off switch for it, though, as lots of folks want to test out our reporting and make sure it’s working. Definitely haven’t forgotten this one, we just have a very long list. 😉

I think in general that your measurement of visitors could use some improvement. I wanted to monitor our landing pages for uptime/performance, but each check counts as a visit. It’s quite easy to distinguish robots from real visitors, and it is quite important for a service like yours that the stats are correct IMO.

You’re right, most robots are pretty easy to identify. There are a few, however, that are starting to get more difficult to track down. Some now emulate full browser requests, so just using script-based techniques won’t always work, and some use “real” browser descriptions in their User Agent headers. We do get most of them, but sometimes some do slip through.

For monitoring, as long as you include a well-known string in the User Agent header of the request, we’ll ignore it. Any of the following anywhere in the User Agent header will work:

BOT
CRAWL
FETCH
INDEX
MONITOR
RPT
SEEK
SPIDER
SLURP
SEARCH

Also, for monitoring, there are lots of third-party services available. Yottaa is one that we’ve noticed a lot of our customers using.

And we totally agree, it’s *very* important that our stats are correct!

Thanks for the quick reply Carl.

We provide a monitoring service ourselves (WatchMouse.com), and I started a very basic html fetching monitor only (for the reasons you mention), which doesn’t load images and neither does it execute Javascript.

The user agent used here is of the format “WatchMouse/10930 (http://watchmouse.com/ ; ny.watchmouse.com)”, so none of your keywords is used, but still it doesn’t look like a browser I’d say 🙂

I might try out our competitor 🙂

One of our landing pages got picked up by Google and I can see a lot of new “visitors” of which I doubt they are real people. Is there a way I can look into a more detailed log instead of just a number?

Thanks
Mark

Sure, email us the page URL at support@unbounce.com and I’ll pull the logs for you…

Hey Mark, just emailed you those access logs. Let me know if you don’t get them…

Sorry I didn’t comment on this. You’re right, that doesn’t look like a real browser. I’m hoping to switch us over to script-based analytics later this year which should cut down on a lot of this…

Hi Carl, no I didn’t get the access log yet, just a confirmation with ticket number #539 of the email I sent.

The ideas here about IP blocking are GREAT! If the CORE of what Unbounce does is to help us with testing and metrics for better results, then the metrics need to be right!

Perhaps if they looked at Statcounter, they might be able to quickly determine how Statcounter don’t count the IP addresses of customers, or IP addresses of coffee shops where customers frequent, for example. I chose to use Statcounter, over other alternatives, because of the IP blocking.

IMHO this should be close to the top of the list of enhancements. The metrics need to be clean.

Hi Stu, thanks for the poke! We definitely want to get to this soon.

My current thinking is that rather than IP-based blocking, cookie-based blocking would be more beneficial, or perhaps some combination of both. With so many combinations of home/office/roaming wifi/3G/4G just doing IP filtering is somewhat impractical…

For those of us that have dynamic IP’s a simpler solution would be if you could add a dummy URL extension to any landing page and it would show exactly as the real landing page, but not be counted.

In other words xyz.com would automatically generate a page xyz.com/test that would mirror xyz.com but not impact the stats.

I think they have that already. Append “a.html” to the end of a URL to not count it 🙂

Any Update on this guys?

Hey Justin, we just did a roadmap review, and this one is right at the top of our list of reporting improvements. Hope to get started on it soon…

Hi there,
Any news about it?
TIA

Hey there! Am happy to report that Evan, our latest developer team addition, is now working on this.

How’s he getting on?

You wouldn’t know it yet, but great actually! In the interest of full disclosure, the feature is 90% complete, but had to be put aside in order to get a few other priorities out the door (namely multi-user and multi-account features that we released at the beginning of this Fall.) We are fast approaching the end of our clean-up phase for that release and IP Filtering is very high on our list to dust off and get out the door.

Thanks for the nudge though, everyone watching this thread will be the first to know when it’s deployed!

Hi Everyone!

Just a quick update that yesterday we deployed IP Filtering as a feature in the app! Feel free to review the following Unbounce Answers article to learn about the full functionality of this feature and how to use it with your Unbounce account:

http://support.unbounce.com/entries/2…