Calling all digital marketing experts! :-) What's hot and what's not?

We have such a wealth of knowledge here in the Unbounce community that goes untapped!  Yeah, I am talking about you :slight_smile: What digital marketing opportunities are you seeing potential in and what have you seen burning out?  No matter how big or small, your opinion is uniquely positioned and might inspire someone else to try something new (or not).  Also feel free to ask a more specific marketing question you may have been pondering!  There is no right answer and just think of this as an opportunity to talk shop and share a few insightful notes from your playbook.

To drink my own koolaid, I am really seeing an opportunity to utilize LinkedIn Form Fills in the B2B space and am feeling pretty burned out with Gold’s Gym emailing twice a day for the last 6 months trying to get me to refer my friends :slight_smile:

What are you thinking and what do you have to lose by sharing?

Cheers,

Joe

Hey Andrew,

Really appreciate you hopping in and sharing!  You are the second person in the last week to tell me that.  Seems like their is a wave of “text based” display ads coming through raising the costs and ruining it for both the publishers and advertisers.  It will be interesting to see how Google handles feedback like this and at what point advertisers start allocating their spend elsewhere.  Is the list of social advertising you mention in any particular order?  And if you don’t mind sharing, any advice or experiences you could share with you LinkedIn marketing?

I know Unbouncers appreciate hearing your perspective!

Thanks again,

Joe

Hey Stuart!

Brilliant!  Love that you took the time to really walk us through what is on the horizon for you.  Do you mind if I ask how you are determining the search intent and where that might or might not overlap purchase intent?  Also enjoyed your point about content curation and how the sweet spot seems to be 3+ right now.  Thanks for sharing and what’s your secret blog?!  Inquiring minds want to know :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Joe

At it’s essence - and way before the term ‘marketing’ was coined - what we do stems from telling stories. Before brand was around, before advertising, before all of this, there were simply tribes. Tribes telling stories. Within their own tribe, to other tribes, with other tribes. My reckoning is that all marketing stems from this, and it’s evidenced even today with a large majority of successful brands/companies. However financial greed took over and we ended up in a dark age of interruption marketing - something I feel we’re slowly coming away from everyday.

However there are lots of ways we can quickly get back to the whole interruption method, and begin to once again p*ss people off. Personally I think remarking, light boxes, exit overlays are all amazing pieces of kit - if used in the right context. But if we use them purely with metric, conversion rate, optimisation etc in mind - and lose sight of the ‘tribes telling stories’ concept - we start to get away from our tribal/community nature. Maybe then we’re at risk of losing our connection and failing in our roles as Marketers/Story Tellers.

People buy stories, people buy passion, people buy what they believe in. I’m interested in how things such as Trans-media Storytelling can help engage audiences - not so much into convincing they want to buy - but into actually getting them engaged. This medium seems insane on one level - but with todays tech age also makes complete sense.

And god yes - email marketing - Justin you nailed it. The ones that shine through are the one’s who’ve actually given some thought to the story they want to tell/are telling. For all you hardcore Adwords people out there - Perry Marshall’s emails always get me clicking. Here are a few of his  latest corkers ;

‘How to Write Fresh, Hot Copy in 30 Minutes or Less’ 

‘Why Most Copywriters Suck (Free Live Webinar Thursday)’

‘9 Great Lies of Sales & Marketing’

‘The Death of the USP? (Free Live Webinar Thursday)’

Ha - what can I say ? I’m a sucker for marketing.

(I work at AdRoll, but I hope I can actually contribute to this discussion!)

Stuart  -

just wanted to chime in here about AdRoll. i think it really depends on your business Ð i was just chatting with some engineers about this actually Ð and what your conversion goal is. 

sure, AdRoll will work if you simply want to drive people “back” to your site, but it works best_ if you have a tangible conversion event. Be it a purchase, a lead submission, or whatever.

The more tangible that conversion event, the more success you see with AdRoll. 

I also fully agree with you on your discussion of cross device. I think this is something the internet is very new at, but interestingly something that native platforms (Twitter, Facebook) are already very robust at by virtue of having consistent logins. Speaking to this, AdRoll is one of the most robust cross device buying platforms, and we’re able to work both across the web and also native platforms. 

Based on your entire comment encapsulating intent, i think you’ll appreciate AdRoll a lot. :slight_smile:

feel free to ping me at plc@adroll.com if you have any other questions

@plc

Hey Peter,

Glad to have all perspectives of the issue!  :slight_smile: any advice for marketers looking to get started with AdRoll and if you don’t mind, what are some ways you do not advise using AdRoll?  Every platform has its sweet spots and not so sweet spots :slight_smile:

Thanks for engaging with us!

Cheers,

Joe

Hello Amit!

Always great to hear from you my friend :slight_smile: you hit on something so fundamental it’s so easy to forget.  Like blocking and tackling for football or laces and first touch for futbol, storytelling is the basis of marketing.  I was not familiar with Trans-media Storytelling and a quick wikipdedia searchdefined something that is so intrinsic to my beliefs as a marketer and maybe even as a buyer.  When I started Nexus Conversions, I think a big part of my gut instinct to dive head first was that it seemed to help fill this gap.  A lot of marketers and maybe even my own marketing lost this compass and it was ever harder to make your story relevant to numerous audiences across the numerous platforms.  Personally, video has become a phenomenal way to target our story across devices and platforms in a relevant way.  Sure it is a tool of conversion rate optimization, but you are right…it’s a story telling tool that can span the platforms of the internet. 

To answer your question, my humble opinion is that it could be personalization and interactivity.  There’s a great opportunity to begin telling stories to buyers on an individual level and even more of an opportunity to allow these buyers to guide the stories that speak to them and their unique needs.  Just like landing page optimization gave way to niche landing pages and fantastic message match, could the future be about providing consumers the ability to steer brands into speaking to and solving their exact needs?  What intersections might this have with marketing automation?

There’s so much to talk about with this Amit and I look foward to hearing the opinions that you have sparked.  What do the rest of you think? 

Warmest regards,

Joe

Great question, Joe! I personally would love to see more of an open forum on what we’re all seeing in the digital marketing space, rather than what things we’re technically doing with landing pages. 

On your note of Gold’s Gym emailing twice a day… I couldn’t agree more! That type of high-touch approach that focuses more on the benefit of the company, than the benefit of the customer would get old real fast. On that note, there is a company called Fit Body Bootcamp that routinely gets me to open their emails by creating personal/urgent subject lines. Some examples: 

Seems pretty basic, but these emails earned my click-opens, where as competing health and fitness emails do not. 

I’m curious to learn more about how you’re going to implement the LinkedIn Form Fills, Joe. Is this something that you’ve put in place yet? Or is it on your testing roadmap? What other things are you testing this week? 

Side note: I moved this from a Question to a Community Update to try and get more action on this post. 

Thanks Joe!

Hey Justin,

Thanks for the quick reply and always great to talk shop with you!  You bring up a great point that email marketing and even frequent emails can be happily received if well thought out.  Fit Body Bootcamp seems to understand that balance that you speak about  Their emails are surely self serving, but they speak to you as an individual and it is obviously working - though if I saw the word burpees in the title I would have ran to the hills! haha

I have not dabbled with LinkedIns autofill feature, but am pretty excited from the chatter I have heard.  So yes, it is on my testing roadmap.  Anyone have any feedback from their experience with this? 

Cheers,

Joe

How about something that is not working? The Google Display Network is complete crap these days. ROI from display ads is way down as publisher quality and dubious ad placements suck the wind out of previously-strong GDN campaigns.

Ad placements for affinity and in-market audiences are mostly viral video and photo sharing “made for Adsense” sites. Too many ad placements appear in mobile apps. Yes, we exclude these aggressively and still run into performance problems.

We get slightly better returns from topic and keyword targeting, and nothing beats remarketing for high ROI, but I can’t imagine how many unsuspecting advertisers are blindly following Google reps’ advice and pissing away money on low quality placements.

I’m not here just to complain (although I could go on for days).

We have seen tremendous returns from Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn PPC campaigns and increasingly move client budgets between platforms to find higher quality traffic. YouTube ads perform well for some direct response campaigns and we are eagerly testing Instagram and Pinterest ads where it makes sense.

tl;dr Google let the display network get overrun by spammy sites with low quality traffic. Social PPC campaigns are more effective at generating impressions and conversions.

Great questions and points, I just want to put my tuppence in but atm my brain is like that below… so many thoughts and ideas all at the same time…

Absolutely agree with Andrew, we hardly bother with GDN anymore because the results are low, the time to setup and create bespoke display advertising media can easily run away with you and is much better placed on other platforms.

To add to this we also run a couple of e-commerce campaigns via Google merchant center feeds and the setup and configuration of these campaigns and the level of control it offers in targetting is just not powerful enough and gives you very little control for feed manipulation without custom coding on your site. 

We have noticed that Bing Ads, which was inexpensive, mainly due to the smaller number of people using it and hence the lack of competition bidding for the same keywords, has now become more popular and more expensive, it’s still a good option but only for certain markets and verticals.

Content curation is on the rise, as it has been for the last couple of years and there are many different platforms out there to help reduce the time and effort it takes to create additional content for your site, although whatever way you look at it, it’s still rehashed content and is no substitute for original content. Google seems in a bit of a grey area with that at the moment, they penalise on duplicate content and don’t give much in terms of SEO value however if you chop things around enough and pull from at least 3+ sources small  chunks of text it pretty much attributes you with originally written content. Even Googles Matt Cutt’s was quick to point out the pitfalls with many people not making a clear difference between creation, curation and aggregation. If you’re interested in how the big G see’s each different type then take a look here --> http://www.curata.com/blog/googles-matt-cutts-create-curate-dont-aggregate/

There has been widespread and unnecessary panic on duplicate content issues over the least couple of years but from Googles own statement…

“Duplicate content on a site is not grounds for action on that site unless it appears that the intent of the duplicate content is to be deceptive and manipulate search engine results. If your site suffers from duplicate content issues, and you don’t follow the advice listed above, we do a good job of choosing a version of the content to show in our search results.”

We are in the process of finding a new curation platform for all our clients so if you’re looking too, hold off a bit and I’ll happily share my research and findings in the next week or so.

Banner advertising on other sites can still work, but we’ve found smaller networks to be more effective, the issue with these is they mostly cater for countries like the US/Americas and larger populations. We focus mainly on the UK and as such have limited options. There are some banner/advertising management platforms which we do use and have the required geo targeting WITH traffic in that location and if anyone is looking to get into that area I would recommend https://buysellads.com

Has anyone tried Infolinks? I used it as a publisher a few years ago and it made us a small income but it wasn’t worth the effort to maintain so dropped it. I wonder if it’s changed at all and how well it works as an advertiser? I like their ideas and something in their pitch about getting around “banner blindness” really strikes a chord with me. 

Remarketing is something we are focussing more and more on in the last few months and I’m looking to give Adrolls two week free trial a whirl, again, I’d be really interested to know if anyone else is using this and what their experience is on that front?

With Mobile/Tablet web searches at an all time high you’d assume that it’s where a lot of purchases come from, we’ve noticed it’s not always the case and having the ability to track a potential client across multiple devices to give correct attribution to various points of your conversion funnel is even more important than it used to be (and it was still important then!), I think it’s easy to make assumptions from data thrown around and those little leaps from X is on the increase so then it must mean Y is too are very dangerous. I’m making no assumptions from anyone else’s data unless they can prove it to me.

With the recent announcements and planned UI changes to the Adwords interface I firmly believe we are moving to a playing field where we are more interested in  “search intent” rather than terms, keywords and queries. Trying to intelligently deduce what the user is trying to accomplish with their search today, sometimes that’s easy, sometimes it’s not, generally due to human nature of terms, misspelling, bad grammar, lack of  understanding the topic (hey maybe they are new and trying to learn about it). I have some controversial views over that and I posted it on my own secret little blog to see if it sounded crazy or not, and it doesn’t lol. 

Bloooming eck, I just realised how long I’ve made this post, my coffee is running out… best refill and leave the rest of my thoughts for later in the thread :wink:

Really interested to see what you all come up with. :slight_smile:

Cheers

S.

Every year new design trends come along and quickly get sucked up by designers, landing page and Wordpress theme designers/developers and very quickly they are everywhere.

Examples would be parallax, ghost buttons, scroll acceleration/deceleration, carousels, sticky nav etc. They are always implemented due to the “me too” mentality that many stakeholders in positions of power push, or just the necessity of a technically inexperienced person building their first business website with a theme.

The problem with these design trends is that they haven’t bee adequately tested to validate their inclusion in the design mix. Usability and CRO are essential in establishing best practices and baselines that can be replicated sensibly.

Often they can be an awesome addition to the interaction design toolkit (sticky nav is awesome), but we need to treat them with care and always question their addition to a page.

If we can collectively spend more time testing them rather than blindly copying others, we’ll as a group act as natural selection where only the best new trends pass go.

Hello Oli,

Your points are well received!  I think that’s part of the value of what this community can be and the core intent behind this post.  If we can have an open dialogue about our experiences and collectively analyze the “trends” there is a lot to be gained.  Do you have any advice for a small business like mine that does not yet have high traffic and reaching statistically significant confidence levels can take a century?  What are your sentiments towards trusting in user testing?  Always great to hear your insights, Oli.

Thanks,

Joe