BUG: Editor Crashes when Rendering Large Images

• 3 September 2015
  • 2 replies
  • 1 view

Screencast below:

I’ve noticed this in the past, but I thought it was a minor issue. But today, I’m not even able to open the page editor.

We have some very large images and I prefer using the largest size possible so I have the most flexibility with resizing and masks. This one is 10 mb with original dimensions of 5638 x 3758.

As you can see, I was able to upload and save the page with the image, but I’m no longer able to Edit the page (even to remove the image) without the page crashing.

2 replies

Hi Phillip,

10mb image files are massive, I know you’ve said you prefer using them so you can mask specific areas but I just wanted to suggest that by doing that you’re making your pages bloated in terms of file size, increasing server load and causing slower load times. Add to that the limits on media sizes that some browsers can manage and the way various extensions interact with images in chrome and Firefox and I would really urge you to reconsider and go for cropping your images amd using them in a smaller size image format.

I have to be honest and say I’m not surprised your browser is crashing in this scenario it’s quite a load.

Have you checked to see what impact these massive images are having on your user experience when people have a slower or mobile based connection? You could be losing more conversions than you gain by having such high quality images.

Just thought I’d pitch in a word of caution, either route you choose I hope you get it sorted.

Best of luck

Stuart.

Unbounce crops and resizes the image on publish, so I don’t have to worry about my page visitors having to download a huge file. That 10mb image I uploaded is only 140kb on the published page. But thanks for the feedback.