Bounce Rates inaccurate in Google Analytics?

I am using Script Manager with Google Analytics and have continually found inconsistency with the tracking. Recently I was running some tests in Google Analytics Real-Time and I found that when I click on my Unbounced landing page GA is not tracking an Event and counted my session as a bounce. Thoughts? Fixes?

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi @Amber_Williams,

When it comes to tracking and analytics, no 2 tools are ever going to show the exact same numbers.

Now keeping the above in mind, you have to account for at least 4-5% discrepancies and sometimes up to 10% or more. Depending on the particular setup.

If you are seeing more than 10% difference, I would strongly urge you to do a full analytics audit.

There are simply too many possible explanations for a discrepancy to be able to point you in the right direction from a simple community post.

You need to start inspecting what is being fired when and what data is being pushed out to Google Analytics.

Best,
Hristian

Hi Hristian,

I am encountering the same issue as Amber. I’m pretty new to analytics. Do you have any preferred best practice in doing a full analytics audit?

Thanks!
David

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi @DavidNS,

There are numerous analytics audits templates out there.
The one we offer to clients is similar to this one from Annie Cushing.

However, if you are really new to analytics, I would start with a good beginners/intermediate course on GA. The ConversionXL Institute offers some of the best.

Best,
Hristian