ARVO Font Change Across ALL Landing Pages?

• 18 February 2015
  • 1 reply

I have been working on landing pages for the past 2 weeks. Today I was scaling out some campaigns with additional landing pages, after duplicating my 7th page or so, making changes for that specific keyword phrase variation, I noticed that the duplicated showed all my Headings on the page looking differently, they are using ARVO Font and it seems like this font is now bulkier, causing the Headings to take up more space.

What has happened? Now It looks like I’m required to go back to every landing page and make small adjustments to make sure that all text is displayed properly, since the increase in this ARVO font size/bulkiness is increasing the text past the text-box size making it push into a new line.

What has happened???

1 reply

Userlevel 2

We’ve already replied to Andy in a ticket but I wanted to post the explanation here for the benefit of the community, too.

Sorry you’ve been experiencing issues with fonts being bolder than they used to be. This is related to a change we made to how bold fonts render on your landing pages.

There’s a technical explanation that I’ll get to in a moment, but for now, you have two options to get your pages looking right again:

1. Remove the bold effect from your text Ð which will cause it to look like it did before. You can change a header to a non-bold font by changing its paragraph format from ‘Header 1’ to ‘Normal’. 

2. Make your text boxes bigger to accommodate the wider, bolder text.

As with anything, please be sure to preview your page before you publish it.

Now for the technical explanation of what’s going on here:

Up until now, when you made a Google font like Arvo **bold**, we didn’t actually include the bold version of that font. That meant it was down to the end user’s browser how to take a regular font and make it bolder. This meant that our customers effectively had no control over how elements of their page looked to all their visitors. It might look great to them, but render very differently when their visitors load their landing page on an iPad, for example. 

So, we fixed this by including the bold versions of the fonts in the page builder and on the published page. Now, when you make a font bold, you *actually* get the bold version of that font Ð it isn’t down to the browser to work out how to make it bold.

This was an important step for us to take because, by reducing differences between browsers, it means our customers, such as yourself, can be confident that their pages will look the same for *all* their visitors.

It’s also important to note that this change didn’t happen automatically Ð it only happens when you republish an existing page or publish a new one (for example by duplicating a page). Our hope was that customers wouldn’t publish a new page or republish without quickly looking at it in the Page Builder or preview Ð but it seems like, by duplicating pages, it’s not too hard for that step to get skipped. 

If that’s the case, you can fix things by editing the page and doing one of the two things listed above.

Please let us know if you have questions on this!