Appending "Page Variables" into the URL

• 20 November 2014
  • 6 replies

Can you post the “page variant” and “page ID” into the URL along with appended form data… ie. after parsing out the form data from the URL, we’re also tracking which variant yielded that form completion.

6 replies

Hi Michael,

Just to confirm here, are you using the ‘Go to another web page’ + ‘append form data to URL’ functionality?

If so, there isn’t a way by default to dynamically push the Variant / Page ID into the URL, but you should be able to create a hidden field in the form and give it a custom ID. For example, on page variant A, you would have a hidden field named Variant and manually give it a value of A. When it gets pushed into the URL, it will show as ‘…&variant=a’.

Does that make sense? Let me know if this works for you, Michael!

Hi Justin,

Correct, we’re using the “go to another web page” + “append form data” check box.

After noodling thru your system, it looks like your page variables (vs. form variables) are not “directly” appendable into the URL. While the data is there, it’s not accessible via the WYSIWYG interface.

Working with our developers here, we came up with a solution last night…

1. Post the following script into the custom tab at the bottom.

‘);
$(‘form’).append(’’);

});

1. Create the corresponding hidden form fields that would then append data into the URL- in this case, the 2 hidden fields would be “variant” and “pageid”

Done!

Hi Michael,

I think part of that code got cut off a bit. I’d love to see the entire code though, so I’m going to ping you really quick via email. If we give this a test, perhaps we could feature this as an unofficial Unbounce workaround!

Cheers,

Did you ever get this answer? I’m looking to do the same thing.

I’m not sure if this is relevant, but I’ve been scouring for hours looking for a way to append my form submission URL with just some of the form parameters, but not all. In other words, I do not want to use the automated ‘append form data to url’ feature. The reason is because I am redirecting the person to the same page, where they can enter another report. This is not a lead gen thing, it’s being used for law clients who are submitting multiple event reports, each of which must be sent as a separate submission. But if I use the ‘append’ feature, then the redirected page form will display all of their info from the last report. I need to control which hidden form fields get appended to the url, but I cannot find any documentation on how to do this or what the format is in unbounce. Should be something like mywebsite.com?hiddenfield=~fielddata~ .

Anyone?

Hey Gary - You ever find a solution for this?

“…I’ve been scouring for hours looking for a way to append my form submission URL with just some of the form parameters, but not all. In other words, I do not want to use the automated ‘append form data to url’ feature. The reason is because I am redirecting the person to the same page, where they can enter another report. This is not a lead gen thing, it’s being used for law clients who are submitting multiple event reports, each of which must be sent as a separate submission. But if I use the ‘append’ feature, then the redirected page form will display all of their info from the last report. I need to control which hidden form fields get appended to the url, but I cannot find any documentation on how to do this or what the format is in unbounce. Should be something like mywebsite.com?hiddenfield=~fielddata~ .”