Any Hotjar users here?

• 11 September 2018
  • 7 replies

We just started implementing Hotjar onto our landing pages and we are loving it!

I do have a question though, with ALL this new information, how do you go about reporting on it? Obviously, a lot of this is internal, but we also want to provide clients with reports on it, I am just trying to wrap my mind around the ‘how’.

Thanks!

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi there!

We install Hotjar across all of our landing pages & variants. It is a fantastic & affordable tool!

Hotjar is an internal CRO tool for us so we don’t include Hotjar specific data/inferences in our reporting just yet… although we often bring up our findings through screenshots as support to our testings and future hypotheses.

What do your client reports look like right now? What kind of data do you think your customers would like to see in regards to Hotjar?

@Stefano Hey Stefano, thanks for your help!

Well right now we use Report Garden for reports and basically just report on PPC platforms + google analytics. What we were hoping to do with Hotjar specifically for clients is report on the findings in order to persuade them into making changes (basically listening to us). Such as “hey I know you desperately wanted this giant block in the middle of the page against our advice, but based on this you cans see users get this far and scroll back up. can we officially lose this?”

I guess with screenshots we can essentially use a secondary took like Redpen.io to annotate it

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi again!

Ah totally - this is how we support our “I told you so” moments when it comes to design. From memory, you can add in a notes/comments section in your reports so this may be helpful. From my experience, customers love the visual representations of data in Hotjar for the first few reports, then they tend to forget about it (since they don’t really understand it). But it really does help with customer buy-in.

Happy to help!

Hotjar has a lot of use cases, depending what you’re focused on. As a tool in general, I would say it’s widely used, works well with Unbounce, and is affordable.

As a new user, here are a few tips / thoughts:
(1) Careful sending raw data to clients as much of Hotjar’s insights are session by session, or ‘case scenarios’, this can lead to assumptions on a whole userbase/population sample
(2) With regard to CRO, Hotjar can be an invaluable place to gain insights and hypothesize new testing ideas
(3) “Heatmap” function on a heatmap is mostly useless–where a users mouse is does not correlate to where their eyes are–use click and scroll maps for reliable data.

Overall, great tool. I’ve been using it for 4+ years now. Their share function is extremely straightforward and easy to send to clients. Sharing with clients are usually to get across a specific point–average fold, how far users scroll, or sharing a recording of a bug/error for a developer to fix. I wouldn’t say I have a specific “report” regularly each month.

@colinsa You make some really amazing points. the mouse does not equal where their eyes are. Furthermore, looking at my own habits, I tend to highlight text while I am reading which would make me look like a moron on a heat map “why is she clicking on text”

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

^ amen to the highlighting text… i do the exact same 😅

I’m that user that clicks everything, highlights everything, spazzes around with the mouse. I’d probably make whoever is looking at HotJar very confused! (are there any easter eggs I can find? 😆)

Colinsa brings up very good pointers.

We’ve used HotJar, and are currently using Crazy Egg. We don’t necessarily report on the exact details, but instead we use that data to create optimizations that we then report to the client if it performed better or not.

For example, we can see no user has clicked X CTA, so as an optimization we can change the verbiage and then see if it receives clicks. If it performed better and received clicks which turned into conversions, we could add that to our report. We changed the verbiage and it increased clicks and thus resulted in more conversions. But we don’t really send over the data that lead us to that decision. That data only really applies in the context of the landing page, specific ad, etc. As colinsa pointed out, if misinterpreted or taken out of context the data can lead to assumptions about a whole userbase/population.

Here’s a good question to ask yourself (or even the client!), what do you think your clients are expecting in the reports?