Add guidelines to the builder

• 18 January 2015
  • 6 replies

I think this feature would be a simple and yet very handy for developers.

Just like in Photoshop where you can add horizontal and vertical guides to help with aligning things and having things snap to guides.

I say it’s simple since I am assuming much of the api from the “sections” feature can be ported over.

6 replies

Hi Ryan,

This feature is one we’ve had on our backlog for quote some time, it’s just been pushed down while we’ve been working on features like Script Manager and Mobile Responsive. We’ll be looking at updating the builder in the near future and this will likely be considered as part of that project.

If you don’t mind me asking, do the green guidelines that appear when moving content help you? Would you find guidelines primarily useful for the initial laying out of content or more as a reassurance that you’ve got everything aligned correctly?

I would say both.

I find the current guides don’t actually snap very well right now and I’m triple checking to make sure everything is aligned. But I’m also using them for layout to speed up design.

Hope that helps. I really wish this would be higher priority. Isn’t an easy addition? It seems like everything is in place already with the api.

The green lines work sometimes and others they don’t show up when moving objects so I can’t see if my content is lined up properly. Guidelines would really help.

Will you guys be adding the basic alignment feature like in all other editors? 

e.g.
align left, center, right
align top, mid, bottom
distribute horizontally, vertically

It’s hard and frustrating to align all manually.

Thanks!

Badge

Are guidelines now implemented? I'm aware that this thread may be out of date, but I've been unable to find any recent information. It would be truly beneficial to have some basic guidelines, akin to those in Canva.

If this feature is still unavailable, I'd be interested to know how others are managing without it.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi there @tdn,

Thanks for posting here in this thread.

This is quite an old thread and since then, we have implemented guidelines in the Classic Builder in order to make it easier for you to align your elements. Whilst we don’t have any specific documentation for this feature, you can try it out for yourself in the builder, or you can see it being used in our Classic Builder tutorial.

Hope this helps you out - let me know if you need further clarification.