Add a Change Log for a historical view of all published activity

• 17 September 2014
  • 11 replies

CHANGE LOG!

It would be great to have access to a simple, historical, view of published changes. Even a simple list of accounts that published changes, with time stamps, would be a great step in the right direction. Currently there is no way to see who, or when, changes have been published.

All we currently have access to is the most recent published time and it says things like “Last published about an hour ago.”

11 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi Phillip - This is a great idea and it’s something that we’re investigating now as part of a larger UI redesign.

When Unbounce started we didn’t even allow for multiple users, so user behaviour tracking wasn’t something that was envisioned originally.

Ideally, how would you like to see an activity log? On a per page level with just the activity for that page? Or a global change log showing everything (ie. Quinn saved Page 1 at time/date, etc)?

For my real life scenario earlier today, all I really needed to see was “Quinn saved Page 1 at time/date.” However, it would be really neat to see more detail (e.g., Page 1 - Sidebar Subhead Container - Background Properties - Color changed from #FFF to #000).

And maybe even include easily accessible revisions of the last 3-5 versions (saved and/or published). That might be a whole new feature idea of its own!

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Versioning is something we’re starting to explore as well. I know there’ll be some challenges keeping all that historical data stored and useable in our DB, but it’s definitely something we’re thinking about.

Definitely no firm dates/decisions for either yet (and we do have some bigger features to get out the door), so I can’t give any sort of ETA, but we definitely know there’s interest.

I’d love to hear if anyone else has feedback about how they’d like an activity log to look!

Versioning is not ‘a great idea’ - by marketing talk - but it’s a industry standard that absence in service like yours, states for amateur approach to business. 

Hey Philip,

I had the same concern so I did the next best thing I could.  Periodically, let’s say every few changes, I duplicate my page variant and archive the previous making the new one the champion variant.  This way, I can go back through and see where I have came from and the logic of how my landing pages have developed.

The key is to have detailed landing page descriptions!!!  I try to mention every element, it’s relative hierarchical position, and aesthetic descriptions if possible.  If I had been wiser, I might have even kept a log in the notes section of detailed analysis for extra ease.  Though this is what excel spreadsheets are great for 🙂

Cheers,

Joe

Joe, 

Having taken a look at your variant descriptions, I couldn’t agree more. Would you feel comfortable sharing a screenshot of one of your pages with all the variants listed? It’s one of the most thorough examples I’ve ever seen and would love to get this out as an example for other marketers to work off of. 

Hey Justin,

Allow me to look into this today.  I will post back something that can be used as a reference, but want to check on a few things first.  I am all for transparency and building synergy from each other so I am open to it!

Cheers,

Joe

Hey everybody,

On Justin’s request I took a screen shot of an example of how I work around not having a Change History Log.  Every couple of changes I discard a variant and add descriptors to remind me where I was.  Additionally, in an excel spreadsheet I take any note of why I made the changes and anything else I might want to note.  Obviously the example below is only a small portion of the list, but it should give you the gist of what I was describing above.  Yes, it does get to the point where these variant descriptions are two lines in length 🙂

As the landing page evolves you may find yourself describing different call to actions, form types, form fields, absence of a previous element, color changes, different testimonials, different social proof, conversion rates over a time period etc.

Hope it helps clarify!

Regards,

Joe

Hey Joe! Thanks for sharing this great example. It clearly let’s you look back at where you started, what changes were made and how you’ve progressed over time. I’m guessing you wouldn’t want to share an example of the spreadsheet (which is fine!) but I would love to see the system you have from end to end. In fact, I think this would be a really informative use-case to share as a complete article. Look out for (another) email from me shortly! 🙂

I’ll keep an eye on my inbox, Justin!

I think it is nice feature to have, but completely agree that there are so many “game changer” features in the works that I wouldn’t see it as a priority either.

Keep up the great support,

Joe