Ad extensions - site extensions

• 8 December 2014
  • 4 replies

With ad extensions being such an important part of how your ad is presented in PPC - I cannot get my head around how to integrate the use of ad extensions into my use of Unbounce. You can’t seem to use site extensions in any way ? I understand completely that Unbounce is about testing and optimising the traffic you bring into your landing page but it seems to me that that use of Unbounce restricts the amount and type of traffic you can bring to your landing pages ? I am a small business and I am starting to feel that my options are reduced by Unbounce not increased. Am I missing something ?

4 replies

Hi Stuart, 

Maybe I can chime in here and help point you in the right direction. Ad extensions are implemented on the AdWords level so there’s actually not much you’d have to do on the Unbounce side. Generally, landing pages are supposed to be a targeted, one-page format with the explicit purpose of evoking a specific action (such as sign-up, or buy). Sitelink extensions take a bit of a different route and give the user 2-6 extra choices before the user even clicks your ad.

With that being said, if you’re looking to use sitelink extensions in your ad, you should still have that option as long as the pages you’re linking to share the same domain. For example, let’s say your main ad is an Unbounce landing page for Walter’s Bakery For Dogs, but you want to include sitelinks for other areas of the site including Hours, Biscuits, Specials, etc. 

You could either create different pages for these sitelinks and publish them as separate pages in Unbounce, or you could simply send them to different areas of your website instead. It’s really up to you how many sitelinks you want to have, where you want these links to travel to, and what information you want to have on them to help drive you conversions. 

Just note that if you’re going to be linking to different areas of the site, all sitelinks need to live on the same domain. So if your Unbounce pages live on ads.example.com, the sitelinks would need to link to ads.example.com/…  or **www.example.com/…**etc.

I hope this helps clear things up, Stuart. I’d be curious to hear if anyone else in the community has began implementing sitelinks, or any other similar ad extensions in their advertising. If so, has this done much to improve your overall Ad rank? How has this affected your conversion rate overall? 

I hear everything you say and I don’t disagree. You can certainly use sitelinks that are just linked into multiple Unbounce landing pages. (The complexity of A/B testing all these landing pages is daunting though) For professional site developers fine but it’s getting ridiculous for small business.

Can i also suggest that sitelinks won’t appear unless you have a good quality score and to me building a good quality score is harder with single landing pages that sit alone OUTSIDE your web site. It doesn’t gain any traffic from internal links- it’s harder to build multiple external links to (because you are trying to restrict the sources so you can measure them individually) and I get the feeling that google’s love for lots of text (with relevant keywords) and time spent on the page doesn’t sit great with Unbounce’s squeeze pages.

I could be completely wrong but that’s what I’m experiencing. I’d love to hear how other people are trying to improve their quality score on Unbounce pages because it’s not just an SEO issue any more - it impacts on bid price and sitelinks etc

Hey Stuart - I just wanted to chime in here as well.

Things like lots of copy with relevant keywords and links will definitely affect SEO, but it shouldn’t have any affect on your Quality Score.

A single landing page should actually help boost your overall quality score. In particular, your content relevancy should be going way up, since you’re able to drive traffic for a particular keyword/ad to a single page that has copy that focuses directly on that specific product or service.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hey Stuart - I just wanted to chime in here as well.

Things like lots of copy with relevant keywords and links will definitely affect SEO, but it shouldn’t have any affect on your Quality Score.

A single landing page should actually help boost your overall quality score. In particular, your content relevancy should be going way up, since you’re able to drive traffic for a particular keyword/ad to a single page that has copy that focuses directly on that specific product or service.