How to Track Conversions on form submission?

i found this thread that says form dialogue boxes have their own URL

that does seem to be the case, but will using the form dialogue box unique url like mypage.com/string/a-form_confirmation.html hit my conversion pixel if I set up the conversion pixel to check for a-form_confirmation.html

in other words, in order to hit the conversion event checking for this URL, which of these do i need to choose (or do all of them work?)
“show form confirmation dialog”
“open URL in lightbox” > mypage.com/string/a-form_confirmation.html
“go to URL” > mypage.com/string/a-form_confirmation.html

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi there!

Where are you looking to track your form submissions? If it’s on Google Analytics, simply use the script manager to get started.

My favorite way to track goals on Google Analytics, is through events.

Admin > Goals > +New Goal > Goal Setup: Custom > Goal description: Type = Event > Category Equals to “Form” > Action Equals to “Submit”

If you need a hand with your Facebook Pixel, my colleague @Jonathan could give you a hand 🙂

Thanks! It is actually for LinkedIn but similar to Facebook in that I want to define a URL path as a conversion and I’m wondering if setting the form submission URL as the conversion event works out of the box, or whether I need to make it so that the user is dumped onto that page.

IE is that URL for the form submission actually called when you submit a form and it seems to appear in a pop out lightbox window fashion?

@Jonathan any help is appreciated!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi there!

If you are looking for your form confirm dialog URLs, they look like this:

/a-form_confirmation.html and
/b-form_confirmation.html

etc.

Let me know if this helps 😉

Badge +2

@sgro28 Hey! I can definitely help you with the FB Pixel. Here is what you’ll want to do:

Step 1:

Add the Base Code for your Pixel in your script manager. This will only track page views. If you have many LPs, you can opt to label it differently (i.e. “WebinarLPViews” or “FreeEbookLPViews”).

Step 2:

Go into the page you want to track leads for. Important: do not do this from Script Manager, it won’t work. Once in your page, go into the “Form Confirmation Dialog”. You’ll want to add 2 scripts here:

1. Base Code Pixel for page views. Make sure the placement is Head for this one.

2. The Standard Event pixel for Leads. Make sure the placement is Before Body End Tag for this one. You can edit the value and currency or simply remove them. You can also edit the label and call it “WebinarSignup” or “Ebook Download” instead of “Lead” if you’d like. Important note: if you do change the label, make sure to create the custom conversion for it in Facebook later on, this way you can optimize for and track in on a per campaign basis.

Example of Standard Event pixel:

Step 3:

Time to make sure it works. Download the free Facebook Pixel Helper plugin here. Fill out the form on your landing page. Only once the confirmation dialog pops up, check the Facebook Pixel Helper plugin. You should be able to see the “Lead” and “Page Views” pixels there. You might have a warning for your “Page View” pixel, ignore that.

Hope this helped! If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me an inbox!

Thanks, this does help but I’m wondering if a conversion event will trigger out of the box if I base it off those URLs, or if I have to specify that the form submission opens in a new window. will the tag know that URL is hit if it does not load in a new tab or a new page? let me know if that makes sense…

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi there!

Sorry - I am a little confused… (forgive me, I am getting ready for CTA Conference!)

Unless you specify that your form shows a thank you page on submission, it will, by default, display the dialog box. You will need to make sure that you integrate any tracking pixel(s) on that dialog box so that your visitor can be tracked.

If you’d like, I’d be happy to run a screenshare with you!

Yes a screenshare might be helpful…I will DM you directly

@Jonathan could you give me a had to track when my a-form_confirmation.html loads using Facebook pixel please?

Badge +2

Hey! Sorry I’m a little slow hehe, could you explain a little more in detail what issue you’re encountering?

Hi @Jonathan

Thanks for your posts above! I’m hoping you can help with an issue I’m having -

In short - how do I get it so that the FB event script only fires once when someone submits the form and then not again?

All the details:

I’ve successfully got the FB pixel event firing when a person completes a form and is forwarded to a landing page, but the issue is, if they refresh the confirmation page, or get end up back their based on our email marketing (since our confirmation page has two uses), the pixel is firing again, leading to incorrect stats showing in Facebook.

How do I get it so that the script only fires once when someone submits the form and then not again?

If it helps, here is the landing page/user journey for you to see what I mean: https://wearethedreammakers.com/win-a-holiday/

Thanks!
Ben

Badge +2

Hi Ben!

Good question. Are you worried that you will have incorrect attribution in your Facebook campaign reporting? If so, I don’t think there’s cause for concern, since Facebook will only attribute an event to a campaign if that user came from your Facebook ad. In theory, it shouldn’t be double counting one user (for the campaign reporting) since Facebook tracks users, versus just IP address.

To keep it clean, I recommend you duplicate your confirmation page for email only. This way your traffic is split and you can analyze it more accurately.

Let me know if that makes sense!

Hey Jonathan,

Thanks for the quick reply on this!

So, the problem is that FB is indeed double counting the users. This is normal behaviour for FB because, although it does track users rather than IPs, it needs to be able to tag a user multiple times - to give an example of why it does this - if I was purchasing a product, and I purchased twice from one ad campaign, the advertiser would want to know that.

To show you what I mean, if you go to our confirmation page (link below) and check the pixel helper, you’ll see that it tags you on visit, and then if you refresh the page, you’ll see that it tags you again:

https://wearethedreammakers.com/more-than-a-holiday/

I’m using the ‘CompleteRegistration’ event, so perhaps it’s because it’s an event that can occur multiple times (like a purchase) - that’s why it tags it multiple times?

So, do you know how I can get it to just trigger on a form submit?

Thanks for your help!
Ben

Badge +2

One solution could be to have it only trigger when someone clicks on the submit button. You could set this up using GTM (Google Tag Manager).

Okay great, thanks!

Are there any other options that might be available?

Is there a way to make a script trigger without having to use GTM? Since all the other tracking is all set up using Universal tracking, I’m worried what effect implementing GTM will have to the original set up?

If no other options, do you know if there are any instructions on how to set this up?

Thanks again for your help!!